When did fakes really hit the market?

St. Patrick

I was wondering when the fakes really hit the market? I see a lot of jerseys out there and I get very suspicious when ever I'm looking on-line. Did they really start getting popular when the Edge came out? Are they starting to fake the older CCM/KOHO styles?

From my observation, fakes existed back in the Starter days - 99% of all Gretzky Rangers blue Starter jerseys out there are fake. There were also tons of fakes of the new Pens vegas gold and black jerseys when Crosby and Malkin hit the scene.

When the Edge came out, it really did explode - before that it was just super stars. When you can find Colton Orr fake jerseys then you know it's getting way out of hand. Yet it seems like RBK just doesn't care.

I have never seen a Koho fake only RBK and CCM

Well, like the post from a new user yesterday that was asking about a fake jersey, the website he posted is a clear place for reebok to start. Im sure there is plenty of investigating that the feds can do on that level. It kills me to see a clear as day fake getting 8+bids and already at $90.00 with 2 days left. I wish i could find a link to the news article on CNN where they busted a major ring and got a huge load of product and money. The federal agent also stated that the money used from counterfeiting has also been tied to terrorism.

Fakes have existed for quite some time. I know when I was stationed in Korea back in 1998 there was already a huge market for the jerseys they sold in country. I didn't know any better and picked some up myself. I figured $10 for something that looked that close was well worth it. While the market for fake hockey jerseys may have expanded in recent years, the market for fake jerseys themselves has pretty much been there since jerseys were manufactured to the mainstream.

There's a line between "unauthorized reproductions" that have been around for some time, like the Griffenfood jerseys on ebay. There was also some North Stars and Nordiques in existence prior to the CCM Vintage line. Those jerseys were from a different mind-set in my mind in that they were filling a void where demand for older jerseys no longer available could be taken advantage of. Many of those were really decent, nice jerseys that were fairly accurate as a whole in many aspects.

The more recent jerseys are coming from the point of view that they want to undercut the price of readily available merchandise that is currently being produced. Those started out horribly with little regard for materials and accuracy, sometimes with horribly inaccurate colors and occasionally misspelled names and player who may not have ever been on that club.

To me, they really exploded within the 2008-09 season when they moved into baseball jerseys. The Twins went from zero to thousands between the end of 2008 and the start of 2009. A good time to declare the hockey explosion was the arrival of the Reebok jerseys.

It's too bad every ebay auction does not have it's own message center where people who know they are fake can warn those who don't, but actually care, but many people don't, as proven each time you go to a stadium and see dozens of them.

You have to understand as well that the government in China protects there company's when it comes to things like this. It really is almost impossible to stop these guys from doing what there doing.

In the end these jerseys exist because there is a market for them, blame the people who buy them.

well considering the fakes are all made overseas and the internet is being used as a medium, how do you propose RBK deal with this issue?

RBK could follow the M&N route and actively shut down auctions of fake jerseys on eBay. Also it's so out of hand, I've seen reputable sporting good stores/collectibles stores who also carry fakes (especially some of the throw back fakes). These are small businesses who probably didn't know any better because often the jerseys are sold from a stateside middle man. But perhaps if Reebok took more time to educate small business owners of sporting goods shops or cards/collectible shops on how to spot fakes you wouldn't see so many PSA authenticated fake signed jerseys and the like.

You know it is bad when they are faking junior jerseys. Terribly, at that.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=quebec+re...d=p3286.c0.m359

Wow, that is pretty sad.

As far as the fakes go, I have only been doing e-bay for a couple years now so I don't go back as far as most of you. But I remember when the Penguins were in the Cup in 2008, the local radio station said China was making fake Penguins jerseys and to avoid buying them.

I thought that was pretty funny. But unfortunately, when I watch Penguin games on tv, most of the jerseys the fans are wearing are FAKE.

It disappoints me.

when I went to the United Center last week it was shocking how many fakes were around. especially the winter classic jerseys, I'd say 90% of the ones I saw were fake, alot of them really bad fakes too.

what pisses me off is when I see these guys in the lower bowl wearing fakes. dude, you can afford $200 tickets, pony up the extra $90 and get a real freakin jersey.

Id like to share this email i received from Ebay Canada after reporting an item.

Thanks for reporting listing 150399330710 to us.

I investigated this listing and found that it didn't violate our policy.

I do understand your concern about the listing, and that you do believe

the item to be fake. Although there can be certain indicators that are

commonly associated with fraudulent listings, as an online marketplace,

we are not in a position to authenticate the actual items. We provide a

marketplace for members to buy and sell items. As a result, without

firsthand knowledge of items (actually having an item in our

possession), we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information

contained in a listing.

In cases such as the type you are reporting, it is difficult for us to

take action based upon third party reports alone. This is because of the

reasons stated above. For this reason, we work with rights owners to

assist us in such matters. Reebok, as the rights owners, can have any

infringing listings removed through the eBay Verified Rights Owner

(VeRO) program. When we receive a claim of an infringing item from a

VeRO member, we are required by law to remove it.

Because so many listings are posted on eBay every day, not all

infringing listings may get reported to us from the rights owner. For

this reason, we encourage you to contact them with any infringing item

you may find. You'll find a list of rights owners and contact

information, as well as information about infringing items, in the VeRO

Program About Me pages. To view the list, please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/vero-aboutme.html

We appreciate your patience and your efforts in keeping eBay a safe

place to trade. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to

reply to this email and let us know.

Sincerely,

This is all i was able to say about the jersey in the message. Message: Reebok does not make size 48 authentics edge jersey with fight

strap. Common thing with fakes.

I dont know what to think about it.

Id like to share this email i received from Ebay Canada after reporting an item.

Thanks for reporting listing 150399330710 to us.

I investigated this listing and found that it didn't violate our policy.

I do understand your concern about the listing, and that you do believe

the item to be fake. Although there can be certain indicators that are

commonly associated with fraudulent listings, as an online marketplace,

we are not in a position to authenticate the actual items. We provide a

marketplace for members to buy and sell items. As a result, without

firsthand knowledge of items (actually having an item in our

possession), we are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information

contained in a listing.

In cases such as the type you are reporting, it is difficult for us to

take action based upon third party reports alone. This is because of the

reasons stated above. For this reason, we work with rights owners to

assist us in such matters. Reebok, as the rights owners, can have any

infringing listings removed through the eBay Verified Rights Owner

(VeRO) program. When we receive a claim of an infringing item from a

VeRO member, we are required by law to remove it.

Because so many listings are posted on eBay every day, not all

infringing listings may get reported to us from the rights owner. For

this reason, we encourage you to contact them with any infringing item

you may find. You'll find a list of rights owners and contact

information, as well as information about infringing items, in the VeRO

Program About Me pages. To view the list, please go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/vero-aboutme.html

We appreciate your patience and your efforts in keeping eBay a safe

place to trade. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to

reply to this email and let us know.

Sincerely,

This is all i was able to say about the jersey in the message. Message: Reebok does not make size 48 authentics edge jersey with fight

strap. Common thing with fakes.

I dont know what to think about it.

WOW. Its nice to see that ebay is all bark and no bite.

If it's the jersey I'm thinking of, a minny third, it was horrible. I mean what other proof do you need.edge jerseys are not made in size 48. Period

one of my friends just came back from china and he said they sell the nhl fakes right in the street like they sell watches and colognes on the streets of nyc