The Loser Point

DesertRat

I read this article in THN:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/1293...oser-point.html

I must say I agree, not because my team is getting the shortest end of the stick. On the way home, the post-game show announcer was saying the Coyotes (26-21-2) were now 5 games over .500 . I know elsewhere that fallacy is used. In reality, they are 3 games over .500, 26 wins, 23 losses combined (regulation and OT). If no points were awarded to the losing team, we wouldn't need 'points', straight wins and losses could be used. OT wins are given no special treatment, OT losses shouldn't either. A win is a win and a loss is a loss, that's how it should be; no losses should be rewarded, period. A revamping of the 'point' system was considered last year, but as we know, they left it as is.

I agree completely. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. It shouldn't matter if the win takes place in OT or the shootout. The league needs to get rid of the 3-point game. I think last I saw there were actually only 5 teams (or something like that) that were actually below .500. 25 out of 30 over .500 is just ridiculous. There is no other sport where you are awarded for a loss like you are in hockey.

The point for a loss keeps teams in the playoff hunt longer though. That means that ratings stay up because everyone still has a chance. Higher ratings mean more money, so I doubt the league will change this anytime soon.

Although, I do agree that the point should be eliminated, or eliminate the shootout like it used to be. Although, I must admit that I do enjoy the thrills of some shootouts :)

I'm all for going back to the tie. All for it. BUT, what should be done, is extend overtime to ten minutes instead of five. Also, take away the regulation tie point. Overtime will mean a LOT more after that.

I was curious how much of a change in the standings getting rid of the OTL/SOL point and using the standard winning % standings from the other sports would be and there were a few changes. Obviously the best teams were still the best but the rest had some decent changes. For the most part teams would only change 1 spot in the standings, though Phoenix would move up 2 spots in the Division to 2nd. 14 teams would currently be under .500 as opposed to only 6 teams. The teams in bold would currently be in the playoffs. The only change there other than seedings is now that Phoenix would be in and Columbus would be out.

RecordChanges.jpg

Edit: Had I bothered to read the original link I would have seen that this chart was basically included in the article.

• 1 month later...

Here is an update on what the records would look like if they just used win/loss records in the NHL. This is current as of the games that were played on 29 Feb.

One thing I noticed, everyone says that the Southeast is so weak, the Central division would only have one team over .500 in this format. The only playoff change would be Phoenix in, and Vancouver out. Bold again indicates teams that would be in the playoffs right now.

RecordChanges2.jpg

• 1 month later...

One last update for this to show the final season standings.

RecordChanges3.jpg

It can be seen that if the NHL did away with the "Loser Point" and just went straight wins and losses that in the East Boston would be out and Carolina would be in. In the West there might not be a difference at all depending on the tiebreaker.

• 1 year later...

I don't know why, but for some reason I'm really bothered by the extra point in overtime this season. You look At some teams like the Stars that have double digit overtime loses, 11 I believe. That's 11 points in the standings which could be the difference in a playoff spot as it's going this season. Teams with the most wins should make a spot. What is your opinions on the topic. I'm posting from my phone so it's hard to get into alot of detail so If I think of more I'll update. What do you think, point or no point for the loser.

I don't know why, but for some reason I'm really bothered by the extra point in overtime this season. You look At some teams like the Stars that have double digit overtime loses, 11 I believe. That's 11 points in the standings which could be the difference in a playoff spot as it's going this season. Teams with the most wins should make a spot. What is your opinions on the topic. I'm posting from my phone so it's hard to get into alot of detail so If I think of more I'll update. What do you think, point or no point for the loser.

Topic merged with one from the 07/08 season. While my photos are no longer there, you can see by my comments that in 2008 that there would have been small changes in the standings.

Topic merged with one from the 07/08 season. While my photos are no longer there, you can see by my comments that in 2008 that there would have been small changes in the standings.

Whoops, didnt even go back that far, thanks for the merge. I see that even last year they were talking about phoenix getting the short end of the stick, and thats exactly how its playing out again this year If you did away with the loser point and the divisional playoff spot Phoenix Would be fourth in the western conference instead of 7th. The western conference would be a lot different indeed. My Canes wouldnt even be this close to Toronto without the loser point but i still would prefer it gone.

• 2 months later...

I'd prefer going back to the old system.

A win is a win, a loss is a loss AND a tie is a tie, or at least eliminate the shootout - what a one dimensional way to decide a game.

Another alternative I wouldn't mind that much is in some of the responses to the TSN article. 3 points for a win in regulation, 2 for an OT win, 1 for an OT loss (would also elimate the "phantom" point). that wouldn't be too bad; either way ditch the shootout.