Jersey You Wouldn't Be Caught Dead Wearing

Mach_9

This is the exact reasoning that means you ALL need to run out and buy yourselves a Dallas Stars Alternate Mooterus jersey today! Ten years from know those ugly suckers are going to be just as sought after as the Wild Wing, Burger King and Gorton's Fisherman.

They go from "Ugly and Unwanted" to "Out of Date and Discontinued" to "Vintage and Collectable". It's a pattern we've seen before.

And that's why I actually bought on one of those Dallas things. I have yet to wear it, but it's my hobby; I collect these things. I like the star on the forearms/cuffs that are usually hidden by the gloves. I think I'm drawing the line with Winnie the Bruin.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good GOD! I've never seen that LA 3rd before. That is downright horrifying.

I really wish I knew where some of these ideas come from.

Islanders5.gif

"Trust the Gorton's fisherman..."

Mike Keenan would not permit those, thus we never saw them on the ice. Pic is from nhluniforms.com.

BluesNeverWorn.gif

I would have loved to see if they would have stuck with the normal font for the numbers or gone off the deep end with something crazy.

Mike Keenan would not permit those, thus we never saw them on the ice. Pic is from nhluniforms.com.

BluesNeverWorn.gif

Mike Keenan was a smart man in this case...haha, what a jersey!

Good GOD! I've never seen that LA 3rd before. That is downright horrifying.

I really wish I knew where some of these ideas come from.

Islanders5.gif

"Trust the Gorton's fisherman..."

I can still remember Mike Milbury's press conference from that season when he took over talking about "Screw the Rangers, Screw the Devils, We're the Islanders!" :lol: Little did they know what lay in store for them...

Anybody got a picture of these mysterious Kings jerseys? I'm trying to jog my memory but can't seem to find it in there.

this is the one http://www.suzyq.com/kings/granato.html

I like this jersey because it was something new with a crest not centered, the A and C on the right side, the color combination of the lettering. If this jersey is ugly, why are peolpe paying almost twice as much for this jersey on ebay than it had cost in stores back then

p.s. my first post. sorry if my english sounds a little screwed up. i need to improve

greetings from Germany

p.s. my first post. sorry if my english sounds a little screwed up. i need to improve

Welcome to the forum. Your English is better than most Americans by the way! :lol:

That Burger King jersey is in extra demand due to the fact Wayne Gretzky wore it. I'm sure there are many collectors who try to get all the different jerseys he wore.

Then combine that with the short time period the jersey was worn, and thus manufactured and sold in stores, means a rather limited supply.

Then there's the werid factor, which appeals to people like me, creating a second wave of demand for it just because it's an oddity.

It all adds up to a shortage compared to interest in it, keeping prices up 10 years after being last worn.

JeffB

If this jersey is ugly, why are peolpe paying almost twice as much for this jersey on ebay than it had cost in stores back then

Well, to be fair, it's a rare find and rare equals valuable. Value doesn't always equal smart. That jersey is an abomination and basically laid the foundation for the current Sabres jersey which is also awful. Now, you can say that the new Buffalo jersey is the best-selling jersey in the league and that's true, but remember that Buffalo is something like 4000-1-5 this year and one equation that does work is that winning ALWAYS equals popularity.

It's easy to rip into the fashion trends of the '70s and '80s, but the '90s weren't exactly the gem of fashion consciousness either.

(too much teal!)

The '90s -- 'twas a dark time of transition.....

:)

Haha, truer words were never spoken, how long will it be before the 90s are spoken of in the same light as the 70s?

Well how bad were the jerseys from the '70's? They weren't that bad. Sure, those baby blue Penguins jerseys were horrible and that Rangers one with the shield on it was hideous but all the others weren't too bad. I liked the Rockies and Scouts and even the Barons' jersey wasn't bad.

Well how bad were the jerseys from the '70's? They weren't that bad. Sure, those baby blue Penguins jerseys were horrible and that Rangers one with the shield on it was hideous but all the others weren't too bad. I liked the Rockies and Scouts and even the Barons' jersey wasn't bad.

I always liked the Rockies and Scouts jerseys, but I never knew what the Barons jersey looked like.

I always liked the Rockies and Scouts jerseys, but I never knew what the Barons jersey looked like.

Barons77.gif

They were fairly simple and pretty clean. I always liked the logo and the Ohio patches on the sleeves. I did see them play a game in person back in 1978, so there's some sentimental value for me.

Barons77.gif

They were fairly simple and pretty clean. I always liked the logo and the Ohio patches on the sleeves. I did see them play a game in person back in 1978, so there's some sentimental value for me.

Really nice look. On the red jersey though I don't see a name plate, does anyone know if they actually wore nameplates on the red jerseys or not?

I can remember reading somewhere that back in the '70's teams weren't required to put the names on the back of their jerseys unless they chose to. Most teams started to do it at home to help their fans recognize the players more.

Funny story to add to that too. Once the league instituted the rule that all teams have to have names on the back, home and away, the only team that disputed it was the Leafs. So, out of spite the Leafs put white letters on their white jerseys and blue letters on their blue jerseys just to ###### off the league. Eventually, though, they put the names on like everyone else.

Really nice look. On the red jersey though I don't see a name plate, does anyone know if they actually wore nameplates on the red jerseys or not?

The first year of the Barons, they wore the State of Ohio patches on the sleeves. That year they did not wear names on the back of the red jerseys - except when the game was a national TV game. I have one photo in my archives showing Gilles Meloche wearing the Ohio sleeve patch with the name on the back. See the link below for photos.

I really can't believe they would go to all the trouble of putting names on the back for just one game, and then remove them, but according to the experts at gameworn.net, this apparently happened.

http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/ultimat...ic;f=1;t=014868

The second year of the Barons, they dropped the Ohio patches from the sleeves and added the names on the back of the red jerseys.

JeffB

Barons77.gif

Oh that is a sharp one! Its definitely fairly simple and a design you still see these days. I like what the Ohio teams have done, the Blue Jackets third, adding the Ohio state flag into it is sharp. I hope that becomes their home jersey honestly.

• 3 months later...

For me it's more of teams than looks.

Devils

Islanders

Flyers

Penguins

Thrashers (this more for looks, that baby blue is awful IMO)

Stars

Avalanche

Blackhawks

flames

wild

avs

pretty much any team from the west that is not Vancouver

leafs

^because I don't like the teams....

buffalo (except for the blue and yellow one....)

any of the stupid baby blue/light pink jerseys.

^because they are ugly.

Also i think that Ducks 3rd jersey from the 90's is cool...but thats probably because I remember watching that show on tv. Though it would be a bit embarrassing for a grown man to wear such a thing. lol.