2 Quick Questions

bupz91

Hi, I'm new here and I had a couple questions. First off, where do you guys get your customization done? I was looking at Coolhockey.com because it is pretty cheap, but I don't know.

My second question is: I recently purchased a Authentic 1999-2000 Pro Player Joe Thornton Bruins 3rd jersey.

Unfortunatly, It is customized with 19 and the Captain logo, but as any Thornton fan knows, he wore 6 that year, and wasn't captain. Since everything is sewn on, is it a good idea to have the numbers and C taken off and replaced with just the 6, and do you think the 6 is just the 9 flipped over?

Hey Bupz91,

I have a little bit of insight in terms of stripping the jersey. If you do decide to take the numbers and C off of the jersey there are a few issues you might run into. #1 be careful using a seam ripper as the material snags very easily if you do it incorrectly. The best way is to use it ontop of the numbers so you are not anywhere close to touching the jersey material. Some people do it on the inside of the jersey and it can cause snags and tears. The down side, if you're planning on flipping the 9 into a 6 is that you may damage the twill material when you're removing it with the seam ripper. In terms of the jersey itself, once it's fully stripped there is a good possibility there will be "ghost" outlines from where the numbers were stitched. The best method i have found for removing them is to first wash the jersey to remove any residue/stitches (only do this step if you are comfortable washing your jersey). Next take a flat iron on a medium heat, place a cotton sheet over the area of the jersey that has the outlines and then run the iron over the material. This has worked especially well on ultrafil to lift out the stitch marks and does not harm the jersey in any way. I would only suggest doing it if you have some experience though, as there is a little bit of a learning curve to it. There are some places that will strip jerseys for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. It's a huge undertaking and becomes very frustrating the first time you do it but is very possible. Good Luck !

Hey Bupz91,

I have a little bit of insight in terms of stripping the jersey. If you do decide to take the numbers and C off of the jersey there are a few issues you might run into. #1 be careful using a seam ripper as the material snags very easily if you do it incorrectly. The best way is to use it ontop of the numbers so you are not anywhere close to touching the jersey material. Some people do it on the inside of the jersey and it can cause snags and tears. The down side, if you're planning on flipping the 9 into a 6 is that you may damage the twill material when you're removing it with the seam ripper. In terms of the jersey itself, once it's fully stripped there is a good possibility there will be "ghost" outlines from where the numbers were stitched. The best method i have found for removing them is to first wash the jersey to remove any residue/stitches (only do this step if you are comfortable washing your jersey). Next take a flat iron on a medium heat, place a cotton sheet over the area of the jersey that has the outlines and then run the iron over the material. This has worked especially well on ultrafil to lift out the stitch marks and does not harm the jersey in any way. I would only suggest doing it if you have some experience though, as there is a little bit of a learning curve to it. There are some places that will strip jerseys for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. It's a huge undertaking and becomes very frustrating the first time you do it but is very possible. Good Luck !

Okay, thanks a ton for all of the information! luckily, my mother and sister are both very talented in the sewing area, so they should be able to help me. I appriciate the insight.

Hi, I'm new here and I had a couple questions. First off, where do you guys get your customization done? I was looking at Coolhockey.com because it is pretty cheap, but I don't know.

My second question is: I recently purchased a Authentic 1999-2000 Pro Player Joe Thornton Bruins 3rd jersey.

Unfortunatly, It is customized with 19 and the Captain logo, but as any Thornton fan knows, he wore 6 that year, and wasn't captain. Since everything is sewn on, is it a good idea to have the numbers and C taken off and replaced with just the 6, and do you think the 6 is just the 9 flipped over?

coolhockey is local for me and I've had a couple jersey's done by them. They are nhl/nhlpa certified but the two jersey's I had done by them both had something that was incorrect so be careful if you use them.

Guys, since this board is hosted by IceJerseys.com, it's not appropriate to discuss other places for jersey customizing out of respect to our hosts, who do a fine job by the way.