Re-doing jersey customization

Curry1fan

Dilemma:

About a year and a half ago, before I was a hardcore collector and picky about making sure I had correct jerseys, I bought a Crosby Pens premier replica jersey on Ebay. It looked good in pictures but when I got it and realized I knew better, it was not right at all and it's really been bothering me for awhile. Some of the problems:

-The nameplate is twill instead of fabric and is sewn on crooked

-The numbers on the back are done incorrectly and the gold layer on the stitching is too thin.

-The numbers on the arms and the captain's C just seem overdone

-The jersey is also totally tagged as a premier replica...it has the jock tag, the tagging in the collar...but has a fight strap.

So I basically want to have the customization redone and if possible, have the fight strap removed. But I am VERY nervous about taking on this project myself. It is not something I have experience with and I value my collection too much to take on something I have no knowledge of doing (plus these big hands on projects are difficult for me sometimes).

I can post pictures of the problems upon request (it'll have to wait till tomorrow since I'm half asleep as I type this). My question is does anyone know if IJ or any other company will strip jerseys and correct the customization? I also know that some members here do it themselves. I just want someone experienced handling this if getting it re-done is indeed a good idea.

Based on the issues with the jersey, do you think it is a good idea to have everything stripped and start over...or should I just buy a new Crosby Pens jersey where everything will be correct? I don't know how much this kind of project costs and money is kind of an issue.

Thanks.

Dilemma:

About a year and a half ago, before I was a hardcore collector and picky about making sure I had correct jerseys, I bought a Crosby Pens premier replica jersey on Ebay. It looked good in pictures but when I got it and realized I knew better, it was not right at all and it's really been bothering me for awhile. Some of the problems:

-The nameplate is twill instead of fabric and is sewn on crooked

-The numbers on the back are done incorrectly and the gold layer on the stitching is too thin.

-The numbers on the arms and the captain's C just seem overdone

-The jersey is also totally tagged as a premier replica...it has the jock tag, the tagging in the collar...but has a fight strap.

So I basically want to have the customization redone and if possible, have the fight strap removed. But I am VERY nervous about taking on this project myself. It is not something I have experience with and I value my collection too much to take on something I have no knowledge of doing (plus these big hands on projects are difficult for me sometimes).

I can post pictures of the problems upon request (it'll have to wait till tomorrow since I'm half asleep as I type this). My question is does anyone know if IJ or any other company will strip jerseys and correct the customization? I also know that some members here do it themselves. I just want someone experienced handling this if getting it re-done is indeed a good idea.

Based on the issues with the jersey, do you think it is a good idea to have everything stripped and start over...or should I just buy a new Crosby Pens jersey where everything will be correct? I don't know how much this kind of project costs and money is kind of an issue.

Thanks.

I personally don't think it's worth it to spend money correcting the problems on a fake jersey, in the end it's still fake. Invest the money in a new jersey and get rid of the fake if it bothers you that much.

I second TMLFANS opinion, if its fake save your money on that. The way i see it, all your going to do is attempt to glam up something that has no chance of being glamorous. Its still going to be a fake eitherway. Ultimately its your money, but for 70 bucks, id spend in on a quality jersey or get a quality jersey customized. Thats just me though. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I've seen folks stick a fight strap on a replica just to increase it's value - so it could be a replica with a bad custom job. Assuming that's the case, it's still a tough call for me.

First I don't know how forgiving the lighter material of the Premier holds up to being stripped. Secondly it may not make sense to "throw good money after bad" and try to fix it at all. EPS will strip jerseys for $35-60 and would then charge $65 to customize the Pens jersey, making it be $100-125 total to fix it. You can get a new Premier replica customized from EPS for just $114 now that they offer free customization on all jersey orders. For me it'd be a no-brainer just to get a new one done right from the start.

If the old one is a legit replica just with issues - throw it up on eBay with a BIN price of $20 or $25 and be honest with your description of the jersey and it's flaws and I bet it'll still sell.

If it turns out the jersey is a knockoff, you can use it to practice your own stripping skills then if the jersey survives that use it as a rag, or to paint in, or to dry off a wet muddy dog, or kindling.

Thanks for the help guys.

I also pulled out my Kunitz Pens replica (from Ice Jerseys) to compare it to the Crosby one in terms of how it can be corrected. While doing that, I also noticed that the Crosby replica has a darker gold in the skating logo and the Kunitz jersey has the skating penguin as a lighter gold. With that detail now in mind, I think I'll take the advice and get rid of the fake; then purchase a new legitimate jersey. My mom and brother (who have no interest in jersey collecting and don't understand the whole fake/real jersey thing) have shown interest in having the jersey so I could get rid of it for nothing really.

On a slightly off topic note, has anyone had a jersey done by Exclusive Pro? I have seen their site but have not ordered anything from them. How is the work that they do?

Thanks again!

EPS is top notch on customization. They do the work for quite a few other websites like USCHO.com and many others (I believe IJ used them at one point). They are a customizer first and foremost and a retailer second as is evident from looking at their website (no shopping cart etc.)

In my opinion EPS and IceJerseys are up there as the top two places for customization.

EPS is top notch on customization. They do the work for quite a few other websites like USCHO.com and many others (I believe IJ used them at one point). They are a customizer first and foremost and a retailer second as is evident from looking at their website (no shopping cart etc.)

In my opinion EPS and IceJerseys are up there as the top two places for customization.

I love EPS. Never had a problem with them. Trust them and IceJerseys