patch removal question

kaner88

Hello guys, I am new here and have a newbie question. I recently bought and RBK 6100 Duncan Keith Blackhawks jersey. I love the sweater. However, the Bill Wirtz memorial patch kind of bugs me. Is this patch able to be removed without leaving a trace? I was going to take it to "Triple Threat Sports" in Mokena, IL to get it done, but wanted some feedback first. Thanks for the help.

Chris

Hello guys, I am new here and have a newbie question. I recently bought and RBK 6100 Duncan Keith Blackhawks jersey. I love the sweater. However, the Bill Wirtz memorial patch kind of bugs me. Is this patch able to be removed without leaving a trace? I was going to take it to "Triple Threat Sports" in Mokena, IL to get it done, but wanted some feedback first. Thanks for the help.

Chris

If the patch is just stitched on it will be a piece of cake to remove, just remove the threads with a seam ripper and the patch should come off. If the patch was attached with adhesive prior to stitching it will be harder to take off but is still doable. Try ripping the stitches yourself and see if it comes off, if it's glued then send it in.

If the patch is just stitched on it will be a piece of cake to remove, just remove the threads with a seam ripper and the patch should come off. If the patch was attached with adhesive prior to stitching it will be harder to take off but is still doable. Try ripping the stitches yourself and see if it comes off, if it's glued then send it in.

Try to pinch the fabric behind the patch. If there is no move or give to it, it is probably glued or heat pressed before sewing.

Try to pinch the fabric behind the patch. If there is no move or give to it, it is probably glued or heat pressed before sewing.

Thanks. It appears that it is not glued. I'll probably try my luck with a seam ripper tonight. Are there usually any ill effects (stretched material, etc) from removing a patch?

I've had all sorts of results removing patches. Some come off clean, some require a little persuasion but leave no marks, some leave an outline of where they were and some come off clean - until you get to the end and then the glue hangs on for dear life. Some are bonded permanently and refuse to come off at all. I have taken things to the dry cleaners to help clean up evidence of glue. A light ironing can also help with outlines.

The loose fabric behind the patch is a good sign. Patience is the key! Spend an hour now for a jersey that looks good for a lifetime. Rush it and you might put a permanent hole in the jersey, especially if you are not going to be replacing it with another one.