Would you ever buy a rival team's jersey?

Sluggermatt15

Thinking about it I probably could never own an Atlantic division team (unless its an authentic 80s Devils christmas tree because they are so rare) but I don't mind having jerseys of different teams. I am a 1/3 of the way of the TBTC jersey collection and that is my grail. If I had to sell a bunch of my jerseys to get the Rangers would I probably wouldn't hesitate. I consider the Habs jersey to be second best to the Rangers' sweater so I would buy a nice Habs one even though I hate them to death. I guess it all comes down to is the jersey something YOU want. Brilliant! Told me this when I started collecting "If you like it, no matter the quality, team, etc. get it.". That's the essence of collecting right there.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, because I'm insane, I have a jersey from every team in the league.

Since I started this thread, I guess I will give my two cents.

Being a Penguins fan, the only Flyers jersey that I would ever consider buying is the orange alternate ones they currently wear at home. But I would have to customize it with something anti-Flyers... like "Losers Since" #75, something funny at annoy the Flyers faithful but harmless... then I would wear it.

I don't really consider the Capitals a huge rivalry like the Flyers, but the only Caps jersey I would buy would probably be a Mitchell and Ness 1977-1978 "Watson" #19 in the white... Watson also played for the Penguins in his career so I wouldn't feel too bad. Though I would NEVER put my hands on an Ovechkin sweater.

I really couldn't see myself purchasing a Red Wings jersey, except for the Winter Classic ones they wore last year. I think that style is pretty slick and I would likely go for a blank WC.

The only other Atlantic Division jersey I would consider is a Rangers throwback sweater. I love the red, white, and blue, but not the edge version, just the vintage sweaters that are made.

no way. i'll never put down money on a Pens, Rangers or Devils jersey. i have a Caps Ovechkin jersey from before the Edge switchover, but after that playoff series two years ago, i have only worn it once or twice.

no way. i'll never put down money on a Pens, Rangers or Devils jersey. i have a Caps Ovechkin jersey from before the Edge switchover, but after that playoff series two years ago, i have only worn it once or twice.

I've only ever considered getting an Ovechkin KHL jersey. The only Caps jersey that interests me is the old red with white stars style that IJ sells as a throwback. It just kind of sucks that the Flyers don't have any players that I could get cool Russian jerseys for.

It just kind of sucks that the Flyers don't have any players that I could get cool Russian jerseys for.

what about Emery? :lol:

I will NEVER own at leafs jersey. I just hate them too much.

I've only ever considered getting an Ovechkin KHL jersey. The only Caps jersey that interests me is the old red with white stars style that IJ sells as a throwback. It just kind of sucks that the Flyers don't have any players that I could get cool Russian jerseys for.

yeah, Mr. Snider was never big on the Russians, unfortunately.

Haha when I was a kid my uncle got me a Rangers jersey for my birthday. We should have switched uncles.

Funny thing is, when he gave me the jersey I knew nothing at all about hockey. Ironically enough, I went to my first hockey game that same week. It was Rangers/Bruins at the Garden. A few cousins surprised me for my birthday with a ticket to the game. I just happened to be wearing the jersey that day lol...When we got to our seats I took my coat off and recieved nothing but disgusted looks from the fam. They forgave me. Luckily we were in the luxury suites on top of the garden so I didn't have to hear crap from the crowd.

No, its Blackhawks only for me, as far as the NHL goes. I'd never buy a Wings jersey, not even if it was a Probert.

Funny thing is, when he gave me the jersey I knew nothing at all about hockey. Ironically enough, I went to my first hockey game that same week. It was Rangers/Bruins at the Garden. A few cousins surprised me for my birthday with a ticket to the game. I just happened to be wearing the jersey that day lol...When we got to our seats I took my coat off and recieved nothing but disgusted looks from the fam. They forgave me. Luckily we were in the luxury suites on top of the garden so I didn't have to hear crap from the crowd.

Hahaha nice.

I almost bought an Ovechkin jersey last year just because I ***LOVE*** the use of red. I was just coming around to liking him and then I realized just how much I really did hate him two days later.

Perhaps I'll go with Calgary instead. ;)

I'd get a Beaupre Caps or a Shanahan Christmas Tree Jersey, but that's about it...

HA!! Dude, you're kinda dating yourself there. :D

lol yeah i'm fond of the stuff from my youth. I'm only 26 but i'm nostalgic for the early 90's :thumbsup:

Would you ever buy a rival team's jersey? Even if it is an awesome style / design that you just HAVE to add to your collection, would you buy it, or would the fact it is of a team you don't like make you spurn the idea?

I was thinking about doing this more or less, but using a disliked team's jersey to make fun of that team.... :rolleyes:

Only under one circumstance. If it is something that I can collect, and would really be worth something in the future.

I love the Flyers, but if I have the chance to get, for example, an autographed Sidney Crosby jersey, I would try and get it.

• 3 weeks later...

If I see a jersey I like, ill buy it. But living in Minnesota, and am still bitter about Norm Green shipping the North Stars to Texas, I will never own a Dallas Stars jersey. And loving the Av's and Wild, I would NEVER EVER own a Redwings jersey.

Here in St. Louis, the Wings are hated, but I've always loved Steve Yzerman. I finally purchased a Stevie Y jersey tonight. I don't care if I get a rough time over it or not. The guy played the game the way it was meant to be played, Red Wing or not.

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to buy a Pens, Flyers, or Rangers jersey. As for the Devils, I'm kinda mixed about it - maybe the "Christmas" style. Maybe it's because of when I grew up, but I really don't feel like the Panthers, Bolts, Canes, or Trashers are the Caps rivals now the way the old Patrick Division foes were. I also wouldn't get a Wings jersey- I was at the Game 4 when they skated on our ice with their Cup, which was horrible to watch in person, but at the same time, strangely sort of cool since you don't see a Cup won in person every day. Even so, I haven't had any love for them ever since (and I didn't really like them much before 1998 b/c of their rivalry with the Sharks, whom I've always justified liking b/c my cousins have Sharks tix and we almost never have to actually play them). I even had a hard time cheering for Sergei Fedorov while he was a Cap b/c I'd still think of his days as a Wing and the Stanley Cup he won against the Caps.

For our playoff runs now, we still always seem to have to go through those old Patrick teams, so I wouldn't be able to get one of them even though they abandoned that grouping quite a while ago. However, if there was a player who was on one of their minor league clubs and he then became a Cap, I'd consider getting the jersey of that player with that team's minor league club, possibly even if it was of WBS, who for the uninitiated, is Hershey's big rival, or of Portland, the Caps former farm team. Speaking of the Pirates, I have an original 90's-era Portland jersey that I've been thinking of getting customized, but the only player whose number I know for sure from back then was Jim Carey...and I'm not going to bother wasting the money to get it made with him as the player.

Edited by Jon

Well I guess I am contradictory, I just picked up an early 2000's Flyers orange (road at the time) jersey on ebay for $36.

Though I might put a funny customization on it..... :D

• 2 weeks later...