Would you ever buy a rival team's jersey?

Sluggermatt15

Would you ever buy a rival team's jersey? Even if it is an awesome style / design that you just HAVE to add to your collection, would you buy it, or would the fact it is of a team you don't like make you spurn the idea?

I was thinking about doing this more or less, but using a disliked team's jersey to make fun of that team.... :rolleyes:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are enough Caps jerseys that I want to get before I should even start dipping into other teams.

I am leaning towards getting a Flyers WC jersey even they shouldn't have been in that game if it wasn't for NBC screwing the Caps over. I would like a Mike Richards jersey though so that would probably be it.

I may eventually get a Malkin or Talbot WC jersey because I like them enough as players despite who they play for.

I own an alternate Peca Islanders jersey, even though the Rangers are my team. I still live on LI, but it's easier to get Islanders tickets than Rangers tickets, and I still NEED to wear an authentic jersey when I go to a game, Regardless of who's playing.

I own an alternate Peca Islanders jersey, even though the Rangers are my team. I still live on LI, but it's easier to get Islanders tickets than Rangers tickets, and I still NEED to wear an authentic jersey when I go to a game, Regardless of who's playing.

Know that feeling. I wore my Naslund ASG jersey last year, and have no idea what I'm going to do this year. Guess its back to the replicas in my closet. I find it very ironic that the Rangers are my team, and I have no authentic Rangers jerseys.

I'm a diehard Sens fan even though I do have a soft spot for Dougy Gilmour and Wendel Clark, I don't think I could ever pull the trigger and buy a Leafs jersey.

I will never own a Flyers jersey. Even if I didn't hate the team I still can't stand their jerseys. Too much orange.

I did have a Islanders jersey I picked up cheap., but never took it out of the plastic and eventually sold it (at a loss).

I thought I'd never own a Devils jersey, but I just might have to get their red and green throwback they are going to wear later this year if its not an Edge cut.

I'm not real picky when it comes to hockey jerseys. If it looks sharp, I like it and want to add it to my collection, then there's a possibility. With that being said, since I have been around the Coyotes and Stars so much recently, I feel weird wearing jerseys or even apparel of their Pacific Division rivals. That really poses a challenge when the Stars and Coyotes play each other.

I also had a real problem wanting to get a Canucks jersey, since they were a hated rival of the Avs for awhile. So I just avoided getting their jersey altogether.

In the NFL, as a Colts fan I do own a Patriots Brady jersey. With that being said, I don't wear it and I have it more for collection reasons. Even the thought of wearing it gives me chills and makes me feel dirty.

At this point in time I would never wear a jersey of a rival. The only Penguin I would consider ever wearing would be Lemiuex as I truly feel that without cancer he would have been the greatest player of all time. So, in other words, it would have to be a Canada jersey, which I am still not nuts about cause I'm an AMURICAN DAMMIT, just kidding. So this narrows it down to his junior team, which I see Taiwanese replicas every once in a while, or I would actually consider the WBS Penguins jersey he wore and was recently featured on the Third String Goalie blog, great read by the way, I know he is on the forums.

Never caught dead in a Rangers jersey...as I consider myself a fan of the New York Americans and will somewhere down the road create a nice sweater replica of one of their outlandish jerseys. I'd have to get a super nasty deal on some type of Richter or Leetch jersey with cool patches for almost 0 dollars to be caught dead buying one.

Never, Ever, EVER be caught dead wasting my money on a Devils jersey...

Well to many the Leafs are the Sabres biggest rival. I have always liked the Leafs jersey though, very simple, but to the point. I would gladly add a Mogilny, Sundin, or Stalberg Leafs jersey to my collection.

I don't think I could ever buy a Devils, Islanders, or Flyers jersey. Too much damage done. However, I could maybe own a 90s Penguins jersey since I was a Pens fan when I was a kid, and I would LOVE to put Mario, Jagr, or Straka on a jersey.

So basically it depends... I guess in some instances it is appropriate in the art of collecting jerseys to step outside NHL team loyalties and collect jerseys of the team no matter who, at least to an extent.

I have acouple times on occasion.

But 100% of the time it is to resell.

If i come across a Rival Teams jersey at a thrift store or on kijiji for a stellar price. I'll pick it up just for the sake of selling it.

Examples: Ryan Smyth Oilers Cup Jersey, Mats Sundin Leafs Jersey, and Anson Carter Canucks Alternate Jersey

The ONLY Oilers jersey i'd EVER consider buying to keep, is a Edmonton Oilers Paul Coffey

I always swore I'd never own a Red Wings jersey, but I would consider breaking that rule if a Steve Yzerman jersey came along at a price I couldn't pass up. he's one of those players I saw so many times as a kid that its more of a nostalgia thing rather than a Wings thing.

and I would have to keep telling myself that every time I looked at it...

So basically it depends... I guess in some instances it is appropriate in the art of collecting jerseys to step outside NHL team loyalties and collect jerseys of the team no matter who, at least to an extent.

That to me sounds more like "hoarding" than "collecting." I'd think that "collecting" should have some level of meaning to the collector than just grading a jersey and being able to say "I own everything."

For me, I only own a Habs jersey because I needed to complete the Original 6 grouping. And it's the '46 CCM Vintage, to boot. Otherwise, my Boston jerseys would gang up on it and take its lunch money.

No way would a Colorado Avalanche jersey soil my closet, however. It doesn't matter how terrible they are right now, or that the rivalry of the late '90s/early '00s doesn't have the same fire it did. There's too much of a stigma attached to the blue-and-maroon.

I do however own 2 Blackhawks jerseys, but that's only because Chicago's one of my favorite teams (despite my Detroit affiliation).

I don't ever think I could own a Flyers or Caps jersey. Maybe not even a Wings jersey though I do love those Winter Classic ones.

I do have a Devils jersey but I don't think that's considered a big rival jersey to own.