Gretzky resigns

DerbyCoyote

The Phoenix Coyotes saga took another dramatic turn on Thursday, as Wayne Gretzky has stepped down from his post as the team's head coach.

"This was a difficult decision that I've thought long and hard about," Gretzky said in a statement. "We all hoped there would be a resolution earlier this month to the Coyotes ownership situation, but the decision is taking longer than expected. Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don't fit into their future plans, I approached General Manger Don Maloney and suggested he begin looking for someone to replace me as coach. Don has worked hard and explored many options. I think he has made an excellent choice, and so now it's time for me to step aside.

Sources tell TSN that Dave Tippett will be named head coach of the team at a local news conference at 3pm local time.

TSN

Not surprised, its too bad the way the situation has worked out there with him. In 07-08 and last season I thought he was on the verge of pretty big things with the team, but unfortunately it didn't work out and I think it was time he stepped down. From the sounds of it, neither Balsillie nor Reinsdorf wanted to keep him around if they take control of the team. With that being said, his $8 million dollar salary was way too much. I love the addition of Tippett as their coach. I was mad the Stars let him go this summer, I thought he did a good job with the mess he had last season down in Dallas. I'm glad to see him get another coaching gig. Hopefully he can get them in the playoffs this season...its needed badly out in Phoenix.