Meigray Facebook Fans Contest

Curry1fan

Clue 3: I am a lefty.

So that means he shoots right?

That's always been a pet peeve of mine that in certain parts of the US that don't get it that if you're left handed that doesn't mean you use a left-curve stick.

So that means he shoots right?

That's always been a pet peeve of mine that in certain parts of the US that don't get it that if you're left handed that doesn't mean you use a left-curve stick.

Wait what? I've only heard of right handed people batting/shooting lefty sticks but never the other way around.

Out of curiosity, who are some players in the league that shoots right but is a lefty? (or other way around even)

Wait what? I've only heard of right handed people batting/shooting lefty sticks but never the other way around.

Out of curiosity, who are some players in the league that shoots right but is a lefty? (or other way around even)

Some Ovechkin guy.

When holding a hockey stick, your strongest hand should the one on the top. Therefore if you are right handed, your right hand (normally) would be at the top of the stick and your left hand at the bottom - so the blade of the stick is on the left side of your body. In this case you should use a left-curved stick and you are "shooting left".

The opposite is true for most left handed people, their left hand is one the top, right at the bottom, blade to the right of their body. They should be using a right curved stick.

Unfortunately, right curve sticks are often called right hand sticks - so some people think it means right handed people should use it. Obviously it's up to each player to play how it feel comfortable to them. I recall a story about Chelios saying he started shooting right only because his dad got a bunch of right curved sticks cheap, so he had to switch.

I found this statistic on Wikipedia:

"Of the 852 players who skated in the 2007–08 NHL regular season, 554 of 852 (65%) were left-handed shooters."

boy, totally did not know that

Looks like I didn't either, because everything I could find is with him signing righty! :unsure:

I probably got him mixed up with another Cap. There is a picture of Eric Fehr signing left-handed and he shoots righty.

I want to reiterate that it's not cut and dry - left shot, right handed or vice versa. It's just that it seems in Canada and Europe it's that way, and in the US it's mostly the other way (left shot, left handed).

To muddy the waters more:

Wayne Greztky - signs with his right hand, shot left.

Mario Lemieux - signs with his right hand, shot right.

I just think its funny that in an NHL game, right shots are definitely in a minority, but I've seen college games in the US were there was only one or two left shots.