Which would be a better investment?

Avizzv92

Yeah I feel slightly blasphemous rocking a Canes jersey b/c the Pens knocked them out of the playoffs. But I do not have a problem with the Canes like I do about the Flyers or the Caps so I don't think that falls into the same category. Not to me anyway.

I'm waiting for Malone (might be false hope) to move onto a team I like more

I'd wager on that being false hope, given his albatross of a contract. Seven years...what the hell were they thinking! He seemed like a pretty cool guy when I met him though.

I don't understand why fans turn on a certain player sometimes.

For instance, Pens d-man Rob Scuderi signed with LA this summer. He wanted more money and he had his Cup win. Yet what do some moron Pens fans choose to call him? A traitor.

*sigh*

Very rarely anymore do players stay with one team their whole career. Some fans need to realize this. Scuderi did nothing wrong. MANY players go to the team who will pay them the most. Why do you think so many baseball players want to join the Yankees? It's all about the money. It's not like Scuderi trashed the city of Pittsburgh, the Penguins organization, and/or the fans on his way out. Yet he is a traitor. Hilarious.

Wow really? That's pretty crazy. I didn't know that since I try to avoid hockey boards during the off season. There is either nothing to talk about or stuff like that. I'm actually happy he went to a team in the West that I like, since he didn't stay here. Him and Smythe should be a nice upgrade to a team that should be pretty good (on paper).

In my opinion though...while he was a great player I loved...until this season (and some of last), he's been marginal at best. He can be replaced and will be. I bet McKee steps in just fine. Besides, we have PLENTY of young D we need to start moving up ~ such as Gogo ~ and from the looks of it, Despres (sp?) will make a pretty solid shut down guy himself in a few years.

I wear my 93 Jagr white authentic to games sometimes... I always hear some jerk Pens fan explainign to his friend or whoever he is with that he doesn't understand why people would weaer the jersey of a guy who 'did that to the Penguins'

Uh... did what? Help win 2 cups, win a bucket full of scoring championships, become the best player in the league whent he best player in the league (Mario) retired? Score some of the prettiest goals in NHL history?

I hate people like that.

It'd be different if it were a situation like, I duinno... Jay Cutler or something....at least there is a reason to have some bad feelings there... but sheez......

I wear my 93 Jagr white authentic to games sometimes... I always hear some jerk Pens fan explainign to his friend or whoever he is with that he doesn't understand why people would weaer the jersey of a guy who 'did that to the Penguins'

Uh... did what? Help win 2 cups, win a bucket full of scoring championships, become the best player in the league whent he best player in the league (Mario) retired? Score some of the prettiest goals in NHL history?

I hate people like that.

It'd be different if it were a situation like, I duinno... Jay Cutler or something....at least there is a reason to have some bad feelings there... but sheez......

Well he honestly was a bit of a cry baby from what I can remember (I was a bit young). However, he didn't do anything to the Penguins...THEY traded him away for garbage. Honestly, people are dumb though...

Well he honestly was a bit of a cry baby from what I can remember (I was a bit young). However, he didn't do anything to the Penguins...THEY traded him away for garbage. Honestly, people are dumb though...

A lot of fans today don't look at the whole story. If a player requests a trade but does so in a way that doesn't disturb the team, I am not so much against that. When a player demands a trade and goes public with it and starts to be a distraction to the team, that I have an issue with.

As a whole though, once a player leaves a team, many fans want to forget the time he spent with that team and what he did for that team.

Yes the Craig Patrick days in Pittsburgh were just FULL of win...oh wait.

I'm not sure what I enjoyed more: Craig Patrick being Pittsburgh GM or Glenn "The Statue" Patrick as coach of the Baby Penguins. LOL.

Yes the Craig Patrick days in Pittsburgh were just FULL of win...oh wait.

I'm not sure what I enjoyed more: Craig Patrick being Pittsburgh GM or Glenn "The Statue" Patrick as coach of the Baby Penguins. LOL.

facepalmtfe.jpg

It kinda was full of win. They only won back-to-back Stanley Cups and a Presidents Trophy with Craig Patrick as the GM.

Oops. In times like that, I wish I had been following hockey my whole life so I don't make such blunders. I do know that Pitt has two other Cups but I didn't realize Patrick was the GM at the time. Oh well.

Sorry, I should have used the word ownership, not management (though neither were stellar at times). Aside from the Cup years, it was due to bad ownership that this team took a serious nose-dive. Trading away solid talent (Jagr, Naslund, Zubov) year after year for unproven, garbage "assets" and signing those same "assets" to asinine contracts. Poor decision-making and bad drafting (aside from the EASY picks ~ Jagr, Straka and Naslund to an extent and then later Crosby, Fleury, Malkin) let this team slip and led to their further money problems when crowd numbers slipped for a few seasons there in the early 2000's when the team was *horrible*. Only in the past season or two is our farm team starting to be restocked...something directly strapped to Patrick. Cups or not, I think his tenure here balanced out with how he let the team slip after '93; couple this with bad ownership perhaps forcing his hand at times...and you have a bad situation. Brilliant at the beginning of his GM tenure here, after '93 this team took a steady nose-dive in the way it ran things...kinda similar to the Pirates over their +15 years of poor management. I guess "ownership" and "management" go hand in hand at times...but whatever, I think you get my points.

If this team would have moved out of Pittsburgh recently, the fingers would have been pointed directly at ownership and Patrick. However, since they won two cups and had an awesome run the following season, people just take the cups and run. Nothing wrong with that, but nothing wrong, either, with pointing out the failures of ownership/management at times in the last 16 years.

But how can you be upset with Howard Baldwin when he brought so much joy with this gem:

suddendeath1.jpg

As far as Patrick goes, both Jagr and the Francis trade were considered gambles at the time and he also picked up Straka and Lang for nothing. With this years' Cup team, 10 of the players were drafted or signed by him, with only two of those being obvious picks. It would have been tough for any GM to top what Patrick did with the team being stuck in a converted opera house and no new arena in sight.

lol @ Sudden Death.

I agree...it was just hard for me to put my argument into words when it sounded so good in my head hahaha

It's just hard for me to be a huge fan when the years that I was old enough to really remember, we had marginal teams and absolutely no farm team to speak of. We still really don't. Thankfully Shero is taking care of that though, or so it appears. Patrick obviously deserves to be in the HoF for more than one reason...but some of his moves baffle me. Though, as you said yourself, he did decent in those later years with what he was given as the team was only *horrible* for a couple of seasons.

Craig Patrick was considered a genius GM most of his career... toward the end he was basically forced into giving away talent for nothing due to financials... Jagr, Kovalev, Francis, the list is huge.

Not really his fault.

His trades of bringing in Francis, Ulf Samuelsson, and Grant Jennings as well as Tocchet and others are considered collosal in helping the team win the back to back Cups.

As for Naslund... he was underachieving in the Pens system. With all the mega-star talent he had, there just wasnt room for him to play on the top 2 lines... it was a shame, but it's also why he blossomed when he left.

On the flip side, Craig had a lot of bad draft from the mid 90's on... Milan Kraft, Robert Dome, Craig Hiller, Chris Wells, Stephan Berqvist, and a bunch of other 1st rounders that never ever became anything.

The Jagr/Naslund/Straka draft pick run was fantastic though!

Edited by Darth Xed

Craig Patrick was considered a genius GM most of his career... toward the end he was basically forced into giving away talent for nothing due to financials... Jagr, Kovalev, Francis, the list is huge.

Not really his fault.

Which is why I said "ownership". ;)

Which is why I said "ownership". ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Baldwin

Baldwin's specialty was buying franchises with very little of his own money invested. For example, his actual cash investment in the Penguins was just $1,000. The rest was assumed debt and capital provided by other partners. His purchase of the Penguins was bankrolled largely by Morris Belzberg. When Belzberg left the group, Baldwin recruited Roger Marino, a Boston investor.

What could possibly go wrong?

Eh... Baldwin was not innocent to be sure, he did his share to drive the Pens into the ground before Mario saved them.... again.

But I put a good portion of it on the whole "Baseball on Ice" scenario that the NHL had developed with a handful of teams having the money to spend to buy whatever player they wanted, while the rest of the teams scrounged the garbage bins.

The whole lockout solved that problem, thankfully.

Eh... Baldwin was not innocent to be sure, he did his share to drive the Pens into the ground before Mario saved them.... again.

But I put a good portion of it on the whole "Baseball on Ice" scenario that the NHL had developed with a handful of teams having the money to spend to buy whatever player they wanted, while the rest of the teams scrounged the garbage bins.

The whole lockout solved that problem, thankfully.

Yes. Hopefully "Baseball on Dirt" goes that direction too. Also hope the NFL doesn't think it's a good idea to go un-capped. They'd literally be committing suicide.