Which would be a better investment?

Avizzv92

I'm looking to either get a Sergei Gonchar Jersey or Max Talbot, I like them equally both (Maybe Gonchar a bit more) so I'm having a tough time deciding. Which player would you expect to be a more secure investment (longevity of being on the the team) I would hate to invest in a $155 dollar Jersey and have the player traded/become a free agent/ect... I'm leaning towards Gonchar, even though hes going to be do for an extension next summer I figure they will resign him. And if he retires as a Penguin the jersey will still be wearable (and wont look like I'm stupid or in denial).

Thanks for any input! :stickhndl:

I'm looking to either get a Sergei Gonchar Jersey or Max Talbot, I like them equally both (Maybe Gonchar a bit more) so I'm having a tough time deciding. Which player would you expect to be a more secure investment (longevity of being on the the team) I would hate to invest in a $155 dollar Jersey and have the player traded/become a free agent/ect... I'm leaning towards Gonchar, even though hes going to be do for an extension next summer I figure they will resign him. And if he retires as a Penguin the jersey will still be wearable (and wont look like I'm stupid or in denial).

Long term, Talbot. Gonchar is 35 and as you stated a free agent after this season. They could find a way to keep him in Pittsburgh after this year, but it could be difficult unless he is willing to take a paycut.

Talbot on the other hand is 25, will be a free agent after the 10/11 season and currently only costs a little over a million against the cap, the Pens could probably secure him at a manageable figure and keep him in Pittsburgh.

We have a few Pens fans on the board, they may have differing opinions, but this is just how I see it.

I am a big fan of both guys too... Talbot is just a spark plug, gotta love him, and Gonchar, to be honest, might be the secret MVP of the team. Think about the turn around that happened when he came back this season!

That said, I recently bought a jersey myself and went with Crosby white authentic with the Finals patch (posted earlier in the "It arrived today" thread), just because I know he'll be there long term.

It looks like you might want a 'different' jersey, since a billion people have Crosby and Geno?

If that's the case, AND you want a jersey of someone that'll be around a while (probably), maybe consider a Brooks Orpik jersey. They are pretty rare, AND he is signed to a long term deal (assuming they don't trade him)

orpik052808_480x285_pens.jpg

Edited by Darth Xed

Gonchar is a great player but I would go with Talbot. Talbot is going to go down as one of best steals from 2002 draft. Who would have thought the 234th pick would become an NHL regular and soon to be impact player. He's one of those late bloomers that is going to keep improving into his late twenties.

I feel the Penguins will find a way to resign Gonchar after this season. I mean, who else do they have that is a proven defenseman if they let him go? I know Gonchar likes Pittsburgh and I am hoping he would return.

I would personally go with the Talbot jersey. Max is a young kid and he will be around for years to come. And I am pretty certain the Penguins will resign him after the 2010-2011 season. They need to keep young talent around the franchise players like Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, etc.

I also feel you should put the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals patch on that jersey too and every time you look at it / wear it you will be reminded what a hero "Mad Max" was in Game 7 where he scored both goals. Talbot will be remembered a long time by Penguins fans, including myself.

It looks like you might want a 'different' jersey, since a billion people have Crosby and Geno?

That's a god bit of the reason :closedeyes: The market is just over saturated with them, even though I like them aswell... But Gonchar and Talbot are my two favorite players on the team (since we gave up Malone :stickhndl: but that's in the past, though the day he goes to a team I like I'll get his jersey)...

You guys made some good points, I might just lean towards Talbot now, he was a huge (possibly understatement, well that and Fleury) reason we won game 7 lol. I suppose down the line if Gonchar gets another secure multi-year contract I can feel a bit safer getting his jersey. I doubt they would give up that kind of talent without some good offers (in regards to what we can afford and what he would take) but it may be "safer" to go with Talbot.

I'll still take arguments either way, but thanks for the input :)

Side Note:

Gonchar is a great player but I would...

Never thought I'd here that from a Capitals fan... It seems your more reasonable the 75% of the people at Capitals Penguins game who taunt him when he gets the puck...lol

Edited by Avizzv92

Ugh...just what we need...ANOTHER Penguins fan.

I keed I keed!

The band wagon has been getting a little heavy the past two seasons <_< Nothing wrong with new fans but I'm proud to know I liked them since I started following in 5th grade, which includes supporting them through the ugly times... tickets where cheaper then too!

I agree with the bandwagon growing, especially people who can't name players before Lemieux and Jagr and I am proud to name more before them than after them. :D

Like Avizzv92, I have been a fan since elementary school and I was a fan when the Penguins were TERRIBLE between 2001 and 2006 and somehow the Penguins were able to fill roughly 93 % of Mellon Arena's capacity during those years. And yes, the tickets were much cheaper. Every franchise goes through its ups and downs - ticket increases and decreases - winning and losing.

So you two are in junior high now? :P:fight:

Your question is a no brainer:

If I had money to blow I could get a custom jersey that had super-star with number 25. :rolleyes:

I purchased a Talbot Jersey, you guys convinced me, from jerseyfactory.com (ran by same company as coolhockey.com) Jerseys was $81 + $59 Customization + $9 Shipping - 10% Of Total = $136 jersey which I thought was a nice deal :)

Glad to see you went with the Talbot!

I've never used Cool Hockey (though I have looked around their site). Hope it comes out good.

I have talked to others who have and liked them a lot, and if there is any mistakes they said they would fix them at their expense... but I'm not worried.

Seeing how Talbot scored the only two goals of Game 7...it's safe to say he's a good pick up whether he stays here long-term or not. :)

I was going to get a Talbot jersey but then decided on Malkin just based on the fact that he's been my fav player since the day we drafted him. Between those two and Fleury...I had some tough choices to make.

CoolHockey is alright. They use the right twill but they don't offer material nameplates. They only use twill plates.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Jerseys and different aspects of them. What is the difference (pictures would be nice) between nameplates and twill plates?

Well, AV...I'm not sure about the 29 other teams...but I know that at least the Pens use fabric nameplates. I got a Kunitz replica from IJ that had a fabric nameplate. I want to say that twill nameplates are used for that awful heat pressing RBK does.

IJ explains this well. Example 1 is from a Jordan Staal Pens jersey...gives you an up close example of a fabric namebar:

http://www.icejerseys.com/customization_detail.html

Example 2 is on a Koivu Habs jersey...you can see the other namebar has little dots in it; which is a decorative accent of some sorts.

http://www.icejerseys.com/customization_detail_nhl.html

Hope this helps...I'm still learning myself!

Sorry about not elaborating. Twill nameplates are just pieces of the same material that the name and numbers are cut from. They then put the lettering on them and sew them onto the jersey. Here's an older example of a twill plate:

http://www.dropthepucks.com/Fredericktown/...awerchuckbk.JPG

Notice how the plate is shiny like the numbers. That's twill. As far as I know, the Jets were the only NHL team to use twill nameplates. Most likely, any other jersey you've ever seen was a fabric plate. Here's some examples:

http://www.dropthepucks.com/Fredericktown/...chmidtname2.jpg

http://www.dropthepucks.com/Fredericktown/...Johnsonname.JPG

http://www.dropthepucks.com/Fredericktown/...eiux%20name.JPG

Okay, I see now... I'm not that picky as long as it's the stitching/name/number are all done well and looks nice. I doubt I'll mind not having a fabric nameplate...

I don't know if anyone can be as lazy as Reebok when it comes to replicas... <_<

I'll do some searching around and see if anyone on the internet has pictures of Pens jerseys made by coolhockey/jerseyfactory.

Edited by Avizzv92

Never thought I'd here that from a Capitals fan... It seems your more reasonable the 75% of the people at Capitals Penguins game who taunt him when he gets the puck...lol

Yeah, I never understood why Caps fans have turned on Gonchar. It was the organization that traded him, he didn't demand a trade. The Caps ended up with Morrisonn, Schultz, and Yunkov for him and at this point none of those players have really developed into an NHL all-star. Looking back, I would have rather kept Gonchar but who knows maybe with time, Schultz could become a really solid d-man.

Yeah, I never understood why Caps fans have turned on Gonchar. It was the organization that traded him, he didn't demand a trade. The Caps ended up with Morrisonn, Schultz, and Yunkov for him and at this point none of those players have really developed into an NHL all-star. Looking back, I would have rather kept Gonchar but who knows maybe with time, Schultz could become a really solid d-man.

In all fairness we did the same to Jagr x 10... I didn't like him personally but he was a good player that I wouldn't mind having on a team.

I don't understand why fans turn on a certain player sometimes.

For instance, Pens d-man Rob Scuderi signed with LA this summer. He wanted more money and he had his Cup win. Yet what do some moron Pens fans choose to call him? A traitor.

*sigh*

Very rarely anymore do players stay with one team their whole career. Some fans need to realize this. Scuderi did nothing wrong. MANY players go to the team who will pay them the most. Why do you think so many baseball players want to join the Yankees? It's all about the money. It's not like Scuderi trashed the city of Pittsburgh, the Penguins organization, and/or the fans on his way out. Yet he is a traitor. Hilarious.

I don't understand why fans turn on a certain player sometimes.

For instance, Pens d-man Rob Scuderi signed with LA this summer. He wanted more money and he had his Cup win. Yet what do some moron Pens fans choose to call him? A traitor.

*sigh*

Very rarely anymore do players stay with one team their whole career. Some fans need to realize this. Scuderi did nothing wrong. MANY players go to the team who will pay them the most. Why do you think so many baseball players want to join the Yankees? It's all about the money. It's not like Scuderi trashed the city of Pittsburgh, the Penguins organization, and/or the fans on his way out. Yet he is a traitor. Hilarious.

And some fans it seems hard for them to support players who play for other teams, just cause Scuderi left the team doesn't mean we can't support him. Malone is still one of my favorite players, I miss him, but still like to watch him play even if it is for the Lightning <_< ....

Hey...I've been a fan of Tom Kostopoulos since 2001 when I first became a hockey fan. I loved him with the Pens but have followed his career even as he played in LA, Montreal, and now will be in Carolina. As you can see from my wish list, I would love to rock a Kostopoulos Canes jersey.

Hey...I've been a fan of Tom Kostopoulos since 2001 when I first became a hockey fan. I loved him with the Pens but have followed his career even as he played in LA, Montreal, and now will be in Carolina. As you can see from my wish list, I would love to rock a Kostopoulos Canes jersey.

I'm waiting for Malone (might be false hope) to move onto a team I like more, then I'll get his jersey. 7 years is a while though unless he's traded...

Edited by Avizzv92