Help removing Letters

rob77ta

Hello all. Not sure if this topic was discussed before. I have an older jersey which I am trying to remove the Captains "C" from. It is stuck pretty good to the jersey and I really can't pull the fabric away from the letter from behind it inside the jersey. Just wondering if there are any tricks that will help me remove it easier after the stitching is stripped. Thanks

try hitting it with an iron from the inside of the jersey to loosen up the glue.

I had to do this with removing an iron on patch. Be sure to put a white t-shirt in between the jersey and the iron. You will want to apply the iron from the inside of the jersey onto the patch/letter. Start with the lowest iron setting and then slowly keep going up until you just reach the temperature in which the glue starts to loosen up and can be pulled away from the jersey. As you pull the patch/letter off, it will cool so gently add more heat and keep working on removing the letter/patch. Once it is removed, you might still have some glue residue left. I remove it by putting goo gone on a white paper towel and then rubbing the area with the residue. The residue should start coming off. I've tested goo gone on air knit fabric and it does not damage it. Though you should wash your jersey after removing the glue so that you can remove the lemon smell from the goo gone.

No, don't iron it. That way the C might even stuck more. I made al kinds of experience stripping 200+ over the past 7 years. What I do is, carefully pull the jersey material from the lettering sideways.

Even if it is a heat activated glue? I would worry about tearing or getting thread pulls if the glue isn't some how softened or dissolved. I may try using a bit of goo gone on my next jersey strip and using no iron at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your help. Justanothavictim was right. No iron just removed threads and gently pulled "C" away from jersey. Hit remaining residue with Dreft stain remover (there was very little left) and washed jersey. All that was left was the outline ofthe "C". Let jersey dry overnight and hit it from the inside w/ t-shirt covering air knit material this morning to remove old creases left by "C" and it looks like nothing was ever there. Thanks again to Justanothavictim and all that helped.