Help me decide the goalie for each team

ozfan30

As I am winding down on the easy to obtain Osgood jerseys (I will play the wait and see approach on the rest), I am looking towards my next project, I will be looking to get a jersey from every NHL team and customize it with that team's most memorable goalie (pretty much since 1995 as those jerseys are easier to obtain). Here is my list of the "goalie for each team. If you feel I am misled please post your rebuttal I would love to read it.

Anaheim Ducks- Giguere (2 cup finals I think that is enough)

Atlanta Thrashers- Lehtonen

Boston Bruins- Lord Byron Dafoe

Buffalo Sabres- Hasek, but I really like Miller

Calgary Flames- Kipper

Carolina Hurricanes- Irbe (I welcome disputes on this one)

Chicago Blackhawks- Thibault (although the great Steve Passmore is tempting)

Colorado Avalanche- Roy

Columbus Bluejackets- Denis (this is tough it could change to Mason depending on this upcoming season)

Dallas Stars- Belfour

Detroit Red Wings- Osgood

Edmonton Oilers- Will probably have to go vintage and go Fuhr

Florida Panthers- Beezer

LA Kings- Potvin

Minnesota Wild- Roloson

Montreal Canadiens- Theodore

Nashville Predators- Vokoun

New Jersey Devils- Brodeur

New York Islanders- Salo (I already have an Osgood :rolleyes: )

New York Rangers- Richter or Lundqvist

Ottawa Senators- Lalime

Philadelphia Flyers- Hextall

Phoenix Coyotes- Khabibulin

Pittsburgh Penguins- Barrasso

St. Louis Blues- Turek

San Jose Sharks- Nabokov or Shields

Tampa Bay Lightning- Puppa

Toronto Maple Leafs- Cujo

Vancouver Canucks- McClean

Washington Capitals- Kolzig

Really let me know what you think

I think Khabibulin would be Tampa's most memorable goalie. He could also qualify as Phoenix's (which you have him listed at) but some would also say Bryzgalov for the Coyotes.

Also Luongo could qualify for either Florida or Vancouver but it is hard to go against Beezer for the Panthers since he was the goalie on their run to the Cup Finals.

The Hurricanes argument (or discussion) could go either Irbe or Ward. Irbe, Kevin Weekes, and Ward have all had pretty good seasons for the Hurricanes, but your project was for the "most memorable" and most fans will remember who was the goalie who led them to a Cup Victory.

Cool idea. These are my choices.

I've mostly gone with goalies that I most attribute to that team and that teams success (eg Finals), but without using the same goalie twice.

Anaheim Ducks- Giguere 02/03 (Finals Patch)

Atlanta Thrashers- Lehtonen

Boston Bruins- Thomas 08/09 (Vezina Winner)

Buffalo Sabres- Hasek 98/99 (Finals Patch)

Calgary Flames- Kiprusoff 03/04 (Finals Patch)

Carolina Hurricanes- Ward 05/06 (Finals Patch)

Chicago Blackhawks- Belfour

Colorado Avalanche- Roy 95/96 (Finals Patch)

Columbus Bluejackets- Leclaire

Dallas Stars- Turco

Detroit Red Wings- Vernon 06/07 (Finals Patch)

Edmonton Oilers- Roloson 05/06 (Finals Patch)

Florida Panthers- Vanbiesbrouck 95/96 (Finals Patch)

LA Kings- Hrudey (maybe, I'm not sure on this one)

Minnesota Wild- Backstrom

Montreal Canadiens- Theodore

New Jersey Devils- Brodeur 02/03 (Finals Patch)

New York Islanders- DiPietro

New York Rangers- Richter 93/94 (Finals Patch)

Ottawa Senators- Emery 06/07 (Finals Patch)

Philadelphia Flyers- Hextall

Phoenix Coyotes- Bryzgalov (Would have gone with Khabibulin, had he not won the cup with TB)

St. Louis Blues- Joseph

San Jose Sharks- Nabokov

Tampa Bay Lightning- Khabibulin 03/04 (Finals Patch)

Toronto Maple Leafs- Potvin

Vancouver Canucks- Luongo

I agree with slime just about all the way. especially on the Chicago and Dallas picks

Slime's list is really good.

Barasso qualifies for a 1992 Cup Finals patch along with the Pens 25th and the Badger Bob patch. Belfour would also get a 1992 Cup Finals patch too.

Oliers - Grant Fuhr with 1990 Finals patch.

I can see going with Andy Moog for Boston, which also qualifies for a 1990 Cup Finals patch, but still think Gerry Cheevers takes it easily.

It's pretty hard to not go with Roy on a Canadiens jersey. That gets you French 1993 Finals patch too.

Islanders? Uh, Billy Smith. Silly kids.

Ottawa? You can't go with Emery. You just can't. Perhaps that one is best left for later on.

You left out the Minnesota North Stars and Gump Worsley. Or perhaps Gilles Meloche. Heck do one of each with the different styles they wore during their eras.

ANA - Giguere

ATL - Lehtonen

BOS - Thomas

BUF - Miller

CGY - Kiprusoff

CAR - C. Ward

CHI - Thibault

COL - Roy

CBJ - Mason

DAL - Turco

DET - Vernon

EDM - Joseph

FLA - Vanbiesbrouck

LAK - Potvin

MIN - Roloson

MTL - Theodore

NSH - Vokoun

NJD - Brodeur

NYI - DiPietro

NYR - Lundqvist

OTT - Lalime

PHI - Esche

PHX - Burke

PIT - Fleury

STL - Fuhr

SJS - Nabokov

TBL - Khabibulin

TOR - Belfour

VAN - Luongo

WSH - Kolzig

Anaheim Ducks- Giguere (2 cup finals I think that is enough)

Atlanta Thrashers- Lehtonen (But i think a Pasi Nurminen would be epic)

Boston Bruins- Dafoe

Buffalo Sabres-Hasek

Calgary Flames- J.S. Giguere, Trevor Kidd, or Fred Bratwaite

Carolina Hurricanes- Irbe

Chicago Blackhawks- Belfour

Colorado Avalanche- Roy

Columbus Bluejackets- Tugnutt

Dallas Stars- Turco

Detroit Red Wings- Vernon

Edmonton Oilers- Roloson or Salo

Florida Panthers- Luongo or Beezer

LA Kings- JAMIE STORR...or Cristobal Huet

Minnesota Wild- Backstrom

Montreal Canadiens- Moog

New Jersey Devils- Brodeur

New York Islanders- Luongo or Dipietro(Just cause i have Salo at Edmonton)

New York Rangers- DAN BLACKBURN!! Is beezer a possibility?

Ottawa Senators- Rhodes

Philadelphia Flyers- Cechmanek

Phoenix Coyotes- Burke

St. Louis Blues- Turek

San Jose Sharks- Hrudy or Belfour

Tampa Bay Lightning- Khabibulin (That one kills me...Flames fan)

Toronto Maple Leafs- Potvin

Vancouver Canucks- Cloutier

As I am winding down on the easy to obtain Osgood jerseys (I will play the wait and see approach on the rest), I am looking towards my next project, I will be looking to get a jersey from every NHL team and customize it with that team's most memorable goalie (pretty much since 1995 as those jerseys are easier to obtain). Here is my list of the "goalie for each team. If you feel I am misled please post your rebuttal I would love to read it.

Chicago Blackhawks- Thibault (although the great Steve Passmore is tempting)

Really let me know what you think

I'd have to go with Belfour for Chicago.

Calder Trophy: 91

Jennings Trophy: 91, 93, and 95

Vezina Trophy: 91,93

All Star team: 91, 93, and 95

7 playoff runs and 1 Cup final

He was Chicago's 3rd all time goalie in games,wins, SOs, and minutes. And as a bonus, he had the most PIMs collected by a Hawks goalie.

New York Rangers- DAN BLACKBURN!! Is beezer a possibility?

Sheesh, why not just have Dan Cloutier for every team he's played for (Rangers, Canucks, Tampa, LA) :D

dan-cloutier.jpg

Seriously, as a goalie fan myself I think this is a great idea.

I agree with others that for the 'Canes you have to go with Ward over Irbe. If you want an Irbe jersey, go with San Jose (although I prefer Nabokov there)

I think for Carolina you should go with Cam Ward instead of Arturs Irbe. He did lead the 'Canes to their first ever Stanley Cup championship for the Whalers / Hurricanes franchise. And it was during his rookie year. Ward was the first goalie to do it since Patrick Roy did it in 1986.

I know you have a couple goalies for the Sharks, but think about Irbe for them. The Sharks were his first NHL team and since the Sharks were a new expansion then, I think it would be pretty cool to have a vintage Sharks Irbe jersey, mostly because many NHL fans forget his name and only think of the current San Jose goalie - Nabokov. Remember, Irbe was called "Archie" and nicknamed "The Wall."

Everyone's comments are duly noted, now let me explain a few of my choices, also I am keeping this sort of modern, as I realize who the greatest of all time are for most teams, but due to the difficulty in getting old jerseys I will keep this fairly modern.

Potvin for LA mainly due to him causing Ozzie to get run out of town in 2001, also I really liked those jerseys with IMO the coolest all star patch and the AM patch

Cujo is a tough one because I feel he was amazing with Edmonton, St. Louis, and Toronto but due to my young age he was always a Leaf in my eyes

Chicago I understand everyone wanting Belfour, but again due to my age I view him as a Star and he won a cup with them, and I know he did lead Chicago to the finals, and will likely get a Blackhawks Belfour jersey

Tampa, I have decided to go with Khabi as he did win the cup and for

Phoenix will switch kHabi to Burke and get a 2000 patch on hopefully the alternate

Carolina, I really did expect this disagreement to come up, but in my mind Irbe help put Carolina on the map.

Roy, this is tough one, as he is obviously the choice for Montreal and Colorado, but to me Colorado doesn't have anyone else.

Oh and a Nurminen would be epic, I might have to do that one.

For the Capitals Kolzig is a great choice since you can use the Eagle/Dome era jersey or the Edge 1.0 jersey. If you want an old school jersey then you can't go wrong with Don Beaupre, Pete Peters, or Bob Mason. If you are looking for unique and rare, Jim Carey would be an interesting choice. If it were me, I would get Semyon Varlamov because I'm convince that the kid is going to be the next great goaltender.

I think Jamie Storr for the Kings would be awesome plus unique

Actually when I think about the kings in the time period of 95-99 the name that comes to mind is Stephane Fiset, I always remember the Wings never winning against him, but I was 9 then so maybe I am just hazy.

Actually when I think about the kings in the time period of 95-99 the name that comes to mind is Stephane Fiset, I always remember the Wings never winning against him, but I was 9 then so maybe I am just hazy.

I remember Fiset, as well, i think he was a king after his stint with the Nords?

Anyway, Storr had perrenial better numbers and actually had a decent career.

For the Kings I'd personally go with Fiset or Storr. As for my Lightning, Daren Puppa was one of my all-time favorite players, so I'm biased. Although Khabibulin won the cup in '04, Puppa was the first real solid netminder the Lightning ever had. Other than those, I'd say Cloutier for Vancouver and Guy Hebert for the Ducks.

Speaking of the netminders, I just picked up a goalie cut Blues Vintage home jersey from 2004. I'm leaning towards Osgood on the back since Brent Johnson just doesn't exactly work.

You got one of the vintage goalie cuts for St Louis, oh man, that is one of the ones I really want. You selling it? Haha, you probably aren't. Just post pics so I can see it when it is done.

• 3 weeks later...