Nameplates with adhesive backing

Bear

I have a numbered Blackhawks TBTC ultrafil jersey that I needed a nameplate for. Local shops said they couldn’t get an actual ultrafil plate for it. I contacted another shop that is highly recommended on this board.

The plate arrived yesterday and had what looked like a plastic layer on the back. I’ve stripped jerseys before and never had a nameplate with that on it, including one recently done by City Sports Lettering, the Hawks customizer.

I e-mailed the shop and was told it is a heavy adhesive. They said it makes the plate look better and last longer and keeps the letters from cupping. The letters are stitched on through it so it wouldn’t be an easy removal. I know better than to iron and heat seal it, but I’m wondering about long term staining or some other weird effect from the adhesive layer being underneath if I use the plate. No plans to change the player now, but you never know about later on. Anyone ever get/make plates with a heavy adhesive like this, and are there any problems/concerns I might end up with?

They also said I could request plates without adhesive, but I was never informed or asked about that when I ordered. I was thinking about asking for an exchange, but wonder if I'm being too picky and don't need to.

Eh, I'm not sure it matters either way to be honest. I've used both styles of the nameplates and I haven't been able to see the difference. Usually, what I'll do is iron it on lightly so the glue holds but not too much. Then, when I stitch it all on, I'll pull the two layers apart so the nameplate just hangs. It works for me.

Thanks for the opinion. I've now seen what excessive glue residue can do to a jersey and was concerned. Sounds like it should be all good.

I know what you mean. I took the nameplate off of both my Coyotes 3rd and Blues road jerseys a few months ago and they were both heat-sealed to the jersey before stitched. Needless to say, both were a mess. What I did though was throw a t-shirt over the spot and I hit it with a blazing hot iron with a ton of steam. Once I got that bit off, I went directly onto the fabric with the iron and continued with the steam and it got everything off. I had to clean the face of the iron off but the glue did all come off.

Of course, both those jerseys were air-knit so the glue came off much easier. I wouldn't recommend doing that with an ultrafil jersey. It's too risky.