Where to buy lettering kits?

TMLFAN

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I searched and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Anyways, lately I have been thinking about buying lettering kits and sewing them onto my jersey myself and have been trying to find out if it would be worth the savings vs having it done where I take them now. The sewing wouldn't be much of a problem because my mother has a couple of sewing machines and was a seamstress for many years so she could teach me how to do it and help me do the work while I get the hang of it.

Anyways, I would just like to ask the members that do their own customization where they are picking up their lettering kits and for how much? I have found a few places that sell kits but the price they charge is only slightly less then what I pay for customization anyways so buying from those places wouldn't be worth it for me, I'm thinking the kits would have to be in the $40-$45cdn range to make it worth my while ( I pay $67cdn right now).

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I searched and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Anyways, lately I have been thinking about buying lettering kits and sewing them onto my jersey myself and have been trying to find out if it would be worth the savings vs having it done where I take them now. The sewing wouldn't be much of a problem because my mother has a couple of sewing machines and was a seamstress for many years so she could teach me how to do it and help me do the work while I get the hang of it.

Anyways, I would just like to ask the members that do their own customization where they are picking up their lettering kits and for how much? I have found a few places that sell kits but the price they charge is only slightly less then what I pay for customization anyways so buying from those places wouldn't be worth it for me, I'm thinking the kits would have to be in the $40-$45cdn range to make it worth my while ( I pay $67cdn right now).

I think Exclusive Pro does it for less than 50$. And they're very accurate (unlike RCS!!!).

I've had nothing but good experience with CoolHockey.

That's where I currently take my jersey's but for some reason they charge more for there kits then they do for the actual customization.

That's where I currently take my jersey's but for some reason they charge more for there kits then they do for the actual customization.

Yeah, they can be kind of pricey. I've got an order for three kits at ExclusivePro right now. They charge $50 (USD) a kit, but they take a little more time to make and ship your order. I've been waiting over a month for the three kits I put in an order for, whereas CoolHockey usually has them shipped within two weeks.

Yeah, they can be kind of pricey. I've got an order for three kits at ExclusivePro right now. They charge $50 (USD) a kit, but they take a little more time to make and ship your order. I've been waiting over a month for the three kits I put in an order for, whereas CoolHockey usually has them shipped within two weeks.

Yeah I contacted ExclusivePro and the kits are $50 + $20 shipping usd so it's cheaper for me to take them to Coolhockey and have them do the work. Right now the only places I've found are gamedaysportsarchieves and 20_west on ebay which would both be in the $45cdn range. They both do not have the edge material for nameplates but they will use airknit which is ok I guess. I think I'm going to pick up a kit from each to see how I like the quality and go from there.

Another question for the people that do there own jersey's. Do you eyeball the positioning of the nameplate and numbers or do you have some sort of measurement guide you use?

Place the nameplate one fingers' width from where the back and collar seams meet and attach. Then, place the numbers anywhere between two and three fingers' width from the bottom of the nameplate. For curved names, if the name arcs out past the numbers, then use the same guide as up there. But if the name is short and it arcs out into the numbers, place the numbers 2 fingers' width underneath the lowest letters on the plate.

I always just double-check with a gamer to make sure that I'm doing it properly. Those usually have it right.

Place the nameplate one fingers' width from where the back and collar seams meet and attach. Then, place the numbers anywhere between two and three fingers' width from the bottom of the nameplate. For curved names, if the name arcs out past the numbers, then use the same guide as up there. But if the name is short and it arcs out into the numbers, place the numbers 2 fingers' width underneath the lowest letters on the plate.

I always just double-check with a gamer to make sure that I'm doing it properly. Those usually have it right.

Thank you very much. I'm guessing you use a ruler or measuring tape to center the nameplate or number on the jersey?

Oh yeah, what about the sleeves?

Eh...to be honest, I usually just eyeball that. I line up the nameplate with the center seam running down the back of the collar. Then I'll just make sure the numbers are equi-distant to the edges of the nameplate. They don't have to be perfect. There's plenty of instances out there where you can just tell that the equipment guy rushed the jersey and the numbers are off-center or the letters aren't all even. The important thing is that you're happy with the way it came out.