Anybody try dry-Cleaning an Edge 1 Jersey?

thebiggoalie

I just received my "C" patch for my Penguins 2008 jersey from TMLFan (Thanks a lot, TMLFan, it's so much better looking than the original, thicker, "C"), and I want to put it on, however, the jersey's sleeves are staring to get kinda dirty, and there is just a litle residue from the first "C". I have dry cleaned ultrafil jerseys, and airknit jerseys and they have all come out fine, but i don't know if the material to the Edge would be okay. Any Thoughts?

I just received my "C" patch for my Penguins 2008 jersey from TMLFan (Thanks a lot, TMLFan, it's so much better looking than the original, thicker, "C"), and I want to put it on, however, the jersey's sleeves are staring to get kinda dirty, and there is just a litle residue from the first "C". I have dry cleaned ultrafil jerseys, and airknit jerseys and they have all come out fine, but i don't know if the material to the Edge would be okay. Any Thoughts?

Good to hear it arrived safely and you are happy with it. I just checked my Penguins Edge 1.0 and the tag says "Do Not Dry-clean" so I wouldn't go down that route but maybe some others have had it done.

Good to hear it arrived safely and you are happy with it. I just checked my Penguins Edge 1.0 and the tag says "Do Not Dry-clean" so I wouldn't go down that route but maybe some others have had it done.

I was on vacation and just got home today, so I don't know when exactly it showed up. I know the tag says "do not dry clean", but so do ultrafil, and airknit jerseys, and they can be dry cleaned with no problems, so I may give it a try?

Anybody ever try dry-cleaning spandex? that may be what it's like.

Hopefully this post will be a little more helpful than the last one. :thumbsup:

I think the biggest issue you might run into is during the heat drying phase they use to evaporate all of the remaining solvent. This usually hits about 150ºF

Ultrafil and Airknit are pretty durable, traditional materials, but the Edge 1.0's have that new material that is probably more prone to melting and/or a host of other things when exposed to heat.

I think your best bet is mild detergent and cold water on a gentle cycle and then air drying. If the residue from the C still shows use some goo gone or Oxyclean and repeat

Hopefully this post will be a little more helpful than the last one. :thumbsup:

I think the biggest issue you might run into is during the heat drying phase they use to evaporate all of the remaining solvent. This usually hits about 150ºF

Ultrafil and Airknit are pretty durable, traditional materials, but the Edge 1.0's have that new material that is probably more prone to melting and/or a host of other things when exposed to heat.

I think your best bet is mild detergent and cold water on a gentle cycle and then air drying. If the residue from the C still shows use some goo gone or Oxyclean and repeat

Yeah, I've used Goo-Gone, and it works okay. Better on darker jerseys since it leaves a little discoloration (which usually comes out after dry-cleaning). The leftovers from the original "C" aren't even that noticeable, but i'd like to try to get it off completely before I replace it with the more current "C". Then I guess I'll try the washing machine.

***For anybody that's curious or afraid, even though the tags on Ultrafil and Airkit jerseys specifically say "Do Not Dry Clean", I have done it and it hasn't done any damage to the jerseys, and they came out looking brand new.***

Do not use Oxyclean on any jersey unless you want to see color bleeding, and the Edge 1.0 is very prone to bleeding.

***For anybody that's curious or afraid, even though the tags on Ultrafil and Airkit jerseys specifically say "Do Not Dry Clean", I have done it and it hasn't done any damage to the jerseys, and they came out looking brand new.***

I'm about to try this and I'm trusting you BG! there's just a few dirt spots on a white air-knit jersey I just got and I'm even more afraid to stick it in the washer and have the crest get crinkled.

I'm about to try this and I'm trusting you BG! there's just a few dirt spots on a white air-knit jersey I just got and I'm even more afraid to stick it in the washer and have the crest get crinkled.

Relax. I've done about 15 airknit jerseys, and 5 ultrafil ones, including my 1992 Penguins jersey. You're fine.