Buffalo

Mach_9

Because Miller likes to choke lately and he wanted to help him out. I love both our goalies, but the hype around Miller really is a bit much - I don't see a huge difference with Biron in net.

By the way boys, the IceJerseys holiday party was last night at Champs, a legendary Montreal sports bar. The evening entertainment was the Habs-Sabres game, and when Souray scored with 1 second left, the place went ballistic!

Anyhow Mach, I wouldn't be blaming Miller on the goal, but instead your big hero Finny, who had just been stuffed on a rush by Souray in the Habs zone. Souray then passed the puck up to Kovalev and had only a one stride head start on Finny out of the zone. By the time Souray followed the play up ice and got the return pass from Kovie, Finny was coasting well beyond Souray. So, Afinogenov, with all his blinding speed and 5 seconds left in the game couldn't muster enough effort to catch Souray with a one stride head start going the length of the ice? If I was coach Ruff, I would give him a serious chewing out after that!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Wolf. I was being a sore loser - and commenting on the hype surrounding Miller, which I feel is out of porportion. Miller wasn't to blame for the goal - though he does choke frequently enough. He's notorious for letting in a wonderfully low number of the great scoring opportunities and a way-too-high percentage of soft goals. That wasn't one, and it was Afinogenov's fault - though Afinogenov is Finny's hero - mine's Pominville :D

I don't think Miller's a bad goalie at all, but I don't think he's the second coming either. People here won't really sense where my frustration is coming from, but in the Buffalo camp it's like when Biron plays the world is ending - they think Miller is so superior. I see two solid goalies, both with their flaws, and I get a little edgy sometimes with all the Miller worshipping I see on my other boards.

I agree, Wolf. I was being a sore loser - and commenting on the hype surrounding Miller, which I feel is out of porportion. Miller wasn't to blame for the goal - though he does choke frequently enough. He's notorious for letting in a wonderfully low number of the great scoring opportunities and a way-too-high percentage of soft goals. That wasn't one, and it was Afinogenov's fault - though Afinogenov is Finny's hero - mine's Pominville :D

I don't think Miller's a bad goalie at all, but I don't think he's the second coming either. People here won't really sense where my frustration is coming from, but in the Buffalo camp it's like when Biron plays the world is ending - they think Miller is so superior. I see two solid goalies, both with their flaws, and I get a little edgy sometimes with all the Miller worshipping I see on my other boards.

I agree - miller seems like a solid goalie, but Biron is pretty solid too, and i don't see such a wide gap between them. As for Finny, I know he isn't really your hero, but I do know you like him a lot and always have positive things to say about him (and so do I). I just felt that was an instance when he just didn't make the effort, when only 5 seconds remained in the game... just not acceptable for a guy with his speed, talent and leadership potential.

Finny is a tempermental guy - and a kind of one way player. Even though I like him quite a bit, I know he's only going to hustle to fix that mistake 50% of the time (if we're lucky). That turnover is the cost of having a guy like Max though... he does so much for the team, but he's going to cough up the puck sometimes, and he's never very defensively responsible. Such is the style of the Buffalo team in general, but he's a prime example of it (fitting for one of the top billed players, I suppose). Miller and Biron both end up with slightly higher GAA's because they face lots of chances where they are left out to dry. It's because Buffalo plays shootout style hockey... when they don't get on the board more than once, they are very likely to lose.

So my train into Penn was delayed today and I missed my bus because of it, so I decided to spontaneously get tickets to the Rangers game, since they were playing the Sabres. Good decision. Another OT win in MSG. Both times I've gone this season they've beaten the Rangers in OT. Exciting game.

So my train into Penn was delayed today and I missed my bus because of it, so I decided to spontaneously get tickets to the Rangers game, since they were playing the Sabres. Good decision. Another OT win in MSG. Both times I've gone this season they've beaten the Rangers in OT. Exciting game.

Nice one Mach, you got to see another fun game, though I am willing to bet you wouldn't mind going in and just seeing an 7-1 beatdown by the Sabres either.

Nice one Mach, you got to see another fun game, though I am willing to bet you wouldn't mind going in and just seeing an 7-1 beatdown by the Sabres either.

I say both are exciting. What's not that exciting is shut-down hockey. If you have a 1-0, 2-0 game, but it's not because of great goaltending, but rather shut-down defense on both sides, the game falls into a lull and isn't that enjoyable. From home, it's still fine, because you can see a replay of a good stick check, or whatever else goes on, but from the seats, it's hard to get excited when a team goes into a defensive shell to defend a one goal lead. Luckily the Sabres had a lot of nice chances last night - mostly from max (who also had a few give aways) - and both Miller and Lundqvist made some nice stops.

I'm not one to sit here and complain about the referees in the NHL but...that's exactly what I'm going to do right now!

For the past two games, the Rangers have had a legitimately scored goal go unnoticed and not reviewed AT ALL, a penalty shot called on a player IN OVERTIME who just so happened to get his shot off before the penalty and at least 6 non-calls that I can remember...and not iffy calls mind you but BLATANT high sticks, tackles, trips, obstructions, etc. And wouldn't you know it, it was the same ref for both games! Surprise, surprise. Now I have never, EVER questioned the compitence of the officiating in the NHL but after seeing the last two Rangers games, I sure do now. I hate to say it but it's either one of two things: A.) they're not seeing these infractions...or B.) they're intentionally allowing them. Now I really have a hard time believing it's B but if it's EITHER than disciplinary action must be taken.

It's been happening league-wide too. I subscribe to the Center Ice package so I get every game and watch a LOT of hockey. More and more refs are MISSING obvious calls and/or making ridiculous ones(Mick McGeough??) in BOTH conferences. Doesn't the league review and evaluate its employees? Something should be done because it's getting more and more rampant. The players will get fined and/or suspended after making bad decisions in a game, so should the officials.

HOWEVER, I'm not blaming the officiating for the Rangers losing the game last night. Hell, I think they did a great job even getting a point out of it but when you're power play goes 0-5 and can't score on a 4-minute minor INCLUDING a full 5-on-3, you deserve to lose.

Sorry...don't mind me.

I agree with you to an extent - the refereeing hasn't been top notch this year. When they were told to crack down on the penalties, it didn't mean to call hand passes on game tying goals when there was no hand pass. Teams have been plagued with high numbers of penalties per game on iffy calls and plenty of missed calls that should have been obvious. However, it goes both ways and both the Rangers and the Sabres have been victims of it - as you do note in your post. The non-goal was reviewed though - they announced it at the game 'the goal is under review'. I don't know if you were talking about last night or not, but I assume so and that one was replayed and deemed no goal. I didn't have a good view of it from where I was, so I can't pass judgement.

Oh no I was talking about the one in Pittsburgh on Saturday night. Sorry I didn't specify.

Matt Cullen came in between two defenders and got the puck in on Fleury but the rebound went off Fleury and came back out to him in the crease where he and the other three Pittsburgh guys just kinda meshed up. Fluery moved back into the net to block the puck from going in but the replay CLEARLY showed Cullen getting a swipe at the puck, the puck going OVER the line fully, then getting kicked out by Fleury after about a split second. The puck then came back over the goal line after Fluery kicked it out and the ref blew the whistle. Cullen insisted the puck went in but nothing was done by the refs and it was never reviewed upstairs OR in Toronto. The puck was then dropped and the play erased. The Toronto office was then quoted later on in the night as saying, "We made a mistake."

Thanks a lot. Shouldn't any crease activity warrant a review when the ref loses sight of the puck?

I agree - did you see Malkin throw the puck in the other night though?

Against the Rangers right? I heard Sam and Joe talking about it but I guess I missed it. I guess it was worth a shot huh?

I think it might have been the Isles... all I know is he got knocked down the puck was lost in everyones skates and he just palmed it and tossed it into the net and then got up and celebrated. The ref called it a goal, and than the goalie freaked out and they reviewed it. They took down the goal, but Malkin should have gotten a closing the hand on the puck call too. Still - I guess it was worth a try.

They took down the goal, but Malkin should have gotten a closing the hand on the puck call too. Still - I guess it was worth a try.

Does that warrant a penalty shot in the offensive zone? I know in the defensive zone it is, but I don't know about the other guys goal. I'm sure it's a penalty though. It has to be. At least a delay of game.

Pretty sure it's just a penalty outside of your own defensive zone. He got away with notning - which is ridiculous simply because if you acknowledge that he threw it in and take down the goal, you're also acknowledging that he picked it up - which should automatically draw the penalty.

• 2 weeks later...
Well Numminen is out for an indefinite amount of time due to a broken toe. Andrej Sekera was called up to take his spot on the roster.

Sekera was impressive in his first game. Played decent minutes and didn't look half bad. I'd been wanting to see him called up for a while. I honestly think Teppo will call it quits after this year and hopefully Sekera proves he is NHL ready with this stint.

As of now it looks like I may actually be moving to Buffalo. Given that I've been itching to get back to a hockey town and my devotion to the Sabres this is an exciting prospect. We'll see how things pan out and I will probably have an idea of where I stand by mid January.

Just like last year, it appears that the Sabres can't figure out the Senators in the regular season. 3 losses to them this year out of the 8 total losses (6 regulation, 2 ot/so losses). Hope they can do what they did last year if they meet up in the playoffs again.

• 1 month later...
Just like last year, it appears that the Sabres can't figure out the Senators in the regular season. 3 losses to them this year out of the 8 total losses (6 regulation, 2 ot/so losses). Hope they can do what they did last year if they meet up in the playoffs again.

I would rather not meet up with them in the playoffs. Same goes for the Habs. I know, I know, the Sabres should take on any team but these 2 teams match up very well against the Sabs and I would rather have them face a softie in the first round rather than a speed team that can hit. Maybe in the later rounds....

Last night at the Wings-Coyotes game I thought I saw that if the playoffs started this week, the Sabres would be playing the Maple Leafs. That would be a helluva first round matchup. I didn't realize at the time what kind of rivalry they had with the Maple Leafs when I saw both teams play in 2000, but I should've gathered something by the Maple Leafs fans throwing things at me in my Curtis Brown jersey...AT BUFFALO.

Yeah Toronto is playing well right now and conversely, Montreal has completely fallen off the map and if everything ended today they would be OUT of the playoffs. Tampa Bay overtook the Thrashers for first in the Southeast too. Watch out for the Lightning.

Yeah Toronto is playing well right now and conversely, Montreal has completely fallen off the map and if everything ended today they would be OUT of the playoffs. Tampa Bay overtook the Thrashers for first in the Southeast too. Watch out for the Lightning.

You always kind of suspected TB could get the job done with those "big 3" but last year was such a disappointment- they could be a streaking team to really make some noise in the Eastern Conference if their goaltending holds up.

I always though the opposite but in the second half of the season they are proving me wrong.

I saw tonight on Vs. the Thrash were 6th and in a pretty tight battle in the East, man that would be an impressive downfall if they missed the playoffs altogether.

I still think the Sabres are the team to beat in the East, but whichever team gets hot (ie. TB) WATCH OUT! They could surprise.