Jersey Noob questions and More Noob Questions

johnnygriswold

Hello everyone! I'm new to the board, a noob to the world of jersey collecting, but have been an admirer of hockey jerseys when I first started watching hockey in 1983 after my first Flyers game.

As a noob, my collection is VERY small. I have a replica San Diego Gulls jersey - which I bought because I'm nostalgic for my days of living in San Diego. Yesterday at the Flyers game I made myself a custom "GRISWOLD - 00" replica vintage Flyers jersey. And I have two replica jerseys on the way from eBay (Gretzky Oilers, Nashville Predators blank).

My love of the jerseys - as I'm sure a lot of you feel this way too - is they are awesome to look at up close. The design elements. The feel. All of it is awesome to me!

I have some questions for you jersey connoisseur:

1. Do you buy/trade for jerseys that are YOUR size, or do you just get what you like no matter what the size is? I'm a small guy, so the Reebok EDGE replica size I fit into and would wear would be the small. Somehow I'm guessing not too many people are collecting smalls.

2. Am I not a serious collector if I don't obtain Authentics or Game Worn jerseys? The new Reebok Edge jerseys are crazy expensive just for the blank authentics. I'm totally fine with staring at replicas. For me it's the design and how pleasing the jersey is to my eye. (As a professional graphic designer I tend to over-analyze graphics, which is fun!)

3. Other than here on icejerseys.com and on eBay, are there sites you can recommend I be looking at? I've already warned the girlfriend that we'll be hitting thrift stores and flea markets more often. :)

4. And lastly, why do YOU collect? What makes it exciting for you? Finding a rare gem that is worth a lot of cash, or something that looks REALLY awesome? I lean towards the looking awesome versus what the value of the jerseys would be. Just curious what makes you collect all these jerseys?

Wow, I sure am a rambling noob.

Thanks for reading and I'm happy to have stumbled onto this forum!

Johnny Griswold

*any and all spelling and grammar errors are due to out of place keys on the keyboard. honest.*

Edited by johnnygriswold

1. Do you buy/trade for jerseys that are YOUR size, or do you just get what you like no matter what the size is? I'm a small guy, so the Reebok EDGE replica size I fit into and would wear would be the small. Somehow I'm guessing not too many people are collecting smalls.

2. Am I not a serious collector if I don't obtain Authentics or Game Worn jerseys? The new Reebok Edge jerseys are crazy expensive just for the blank authentics. I'm totally fine with staring at replicas. For me it's the design and how pleasing the jersey is to my eye. (As a professional graphic designer I tend to over-analyze graphics, which is fun!)

3. Other than here on icejerseys.com and on eBay, are there sites you can recommend I be looking at? I've already warned the girlfriend that we'll be hitting thrift stores and flea markets more often. :)

4. And lastly, why do YOU collect? What makes it exciting for you? Finding a rare gem that is worth a lot of cash, or something that looks REALLY awesome? I lean towards the looking awesome versus what the value of the jerseys would be. Just curious what makes you collect all these jerseys?

First of all, welcome aboard!

I'm not as hardcore a collector as some of the people here, (I have about 30 jerseys, no authentics yet) but I don't think there are really any rules to collecting jerseys other than don't screw anyone over when you sell/trade a jersey to someone else.

1. I only get jerseys in my size because I like to wear them. I guess there are others who don't wear theirs that much so they just get whatever size. Do whatever you want, after all it is YOUR collection. If it makes you happy, then it's a good collection.

2. I consider myself a pretty serious collector, but I am just now looking to add an authentic pre-Edge Devils jersey and do not plan on adding any other authentics. I'd rather spend the money on multiple replicas than one authentic, but I feel like my collection is missing something without an authentic and I can't justify having an authentic jersey of any team without having a Devils authentic. Game-worn jerseys are way out of my price range so that's not even a real consideration for me now.

3. I have no interest in the Edge jerseys so I'm just relying on ebay for the old-style jerseys pretty much for now. Occasionaly I do a Google product search too if ebay doesn't work. You can always check the Trading Post section of this forum to see what other people are selling, or to ask if anyone is selling something you want.

4. This differs from person to person I assume, but I look at my jersey collection as something that makes me happy and different from everyone else I see on an everyday basis rather than an investment, so the value doesn't mean much to me. I collect jerseys based on my favorite teams, favorite players, and sometimes just how cool the jersey looks to me (such as my Richer Lightning alternate jersey and my Zajac UND jersey). Not all my jerseys are in my collection for the same reason and there are even more reasons for why I chose the players I put on each jersey.

Basically, just make your jersey collection whatever you want it to be, don't be afraid that other people will ridicule it or anything, since like I said--it's YOUR collection. Have fun.

1. I always try to buy jerseys in my size so I can wear them. If you are looking to resell them someday, a small is going to hurt the resale value for certain. I will compromise in size if it's a really hard to find jersey that I really, really want an example of. I normally wear a 48 or 52, but do have a couple of 54's and 56's in order to own that particular type.

2. Most of my jerseys are replicas. I felt that the CCM 550's were a terrific value for the money and didn't feel the need to pay the extra for the upgrade. It's different now since the gap between the authentics and replicas are greater, but the price increase is hard to justify. Make that "quite near impossibe" to justify.

3. Since ice jerseys is hosting this forum, it's not exactly kosher to send you to a competitor's web site.

4. I collect everything. I've got a few "subsets" in my collection. I love international team jerseys, from the Olympics, World Cup and World Championships, I've got at least one from every current NHL team, a bunch of Lemieux and Gretzky jerseys plus a I really like ugly jerseys that were short lived and unpopular.

I also add patches whenever I can. They make the jerseys stand out and usually add to the story of the jerseys. I'm almost more of a patch collector who needs jerseys to put under the patches!

Get what you like, but only what you can afford. It's supposed to be fun!

There may be some jersey-elitists out there who claim that if your collection isn't comprised entirely of authentics, then you're not a serious collector. To that, I say "PHahhawhahwhahaahhhhhhfffhppfffft." :D

One collects what one wants. Period. If it's a jersey you like, then it's a good jersey.

1. I buy, trade for, and acquire jerseys that are my size. Size L for replicas; 46 or 48 in the pre-EDGE authentics depending on the generation and cut; and I have no idea what a good size in the EDGE authentics would be. I've tried on the 50s and 52s but it was during the summer when I did, and I didn't have a hoodie on so while the 50 felt like a good fit, my wife suggested that I go with the 52 when she saw how it hung on me. But we were also at the TD Banknorth Garden pro shop and we were excited to be there so we weren't quite in the analytical mindset at the time!
  2. As above, not at all. My collection is majority replica, and the authentics I do have, I got for stupid cheap deals (Detroit Red Wings red, Boston Bruins white, and Chicago Wolves maroon). I'm holding out for a Detroit Winter Classic jersey, but I can't justify spending over $300 for the authentic. I did just order the Chicago Winter Classic replica with Toews' name on it for $180, though, and I have a Boston replica coming in the same order. And I think I'm a pretty serious collector!
  3. The other on-line store I shop at is sportsk.com. Stupid cheap on Red Wings jerseys, because they're local in the Detroit area, so while I have to pay sales tax as a Michigan resident, it's still cheaper than most other sources for Wings jerseys (and they closed their storefront several years ago, so I can't just drive over there to browse).
  4. What makes collecting fun for me are two things:
    • Finding the unbeatable deals. My Minnesota, St. Louis, and Nashville were around $20-30 each.
    • Finding that rarity in the right size and manufacturer. My CCM New York Rangers white Liberty was my most recent prize -- made by CCM (I hate Starter replicas, and those are the most common ones that I've seen), in size L. The ones I've seen most often are like size S or M, made by Starter and the seller is in Australia (?????), so to find a CCM large was a big deal to me, and that made the hunt fun.

Overall, it's the hunt. That's what makes collecting fun. If it was just a matter of acquiring whatever comes along WHEN it comes along, that's not collecting -- that's hoarding.

Welcome aboard. I'll take a stab, too.

1. I try to acquire jerseys that fit me, because I like to wear them. If selling them, you can sell jerseys of bigger sizes way easier than jerseys of smaller sizes. I wish the companies would quit wasting their time with size Small.

2. A 'serious collector' of jerseys can be defined in different ways. Just open my closets and see the various ones crammed in there, on first look, you'd say I'm a serious collector, especially if you don't collect, at all. Some people don't collect replicas, but if I show off my collection of defunct minor league teams, that wouldn't make me less of a collector. The 'serious collector' label is subjective.

3. Can't recommend other sites for jerseys, buy as you probably know, ebay is a good place to start when shopping for just about anything and everyone knows that most of us here do use it, especially for rare or discontinued stuff.

4. Why do I like collecting? Since I was nary a child, I always liked sports jerseys, but in the 70s, they were hard to find, not produced or marketed en masse like they are today and there was no internet back then, so if the local store didn't carry it, I had to find a mail-order retailer that did. The advent of online commerce has made it possible to collect in ways I never dreamed of. I love the sport, the colors and designs of the shirts, the look and the nostalgia. I love to shop (my wife reminds me of that frequently) and bargain-hunting is fun; bargain-finding is even better. I like to discover jerseys that I have never seen before and can't readily purchase like a 1977 Cleveland Barons jersey, for example.

Everyone has their own way of enjoying the hobby (trust me, you'll be accused of have an obsession and addiction, which are such harsh terms!). If you're going to get into it, make sure you have plenty of money, storage and support from your significant other. It's more pleasant in all those situations if you have those. :thumbsup:

As you explore the forum, don't get trapped in the "mine is better than yours" mindset, it's not a competition. I mean, you can if you want. JeffB said it best, "Get what you like, but only what you can afford. It's supposed to be fun!".

Thanks so much everyone! It's cool to get into the minds of the jersey collectors. I mostly like the cool designs, so I gravitate towards those jerseys. However, having some REALLY ugly jerseys in my collection would be fun too! Yeah, I was pretty much thinking that replicas were not really what a "serious" collector should be going after, but "serious" is a subjective term. The Edge authentic jerseys are just way too expensive for me (and i'm sure most people). I appreciate all of your responses and I LOVE looking at all of your jerseys!

Welcome aboard! Enjoy the hobby it's good fun and makes your closet look a lot more colorful and interesting.

1. I buy for my size no matter what, I've seen some gems that are borderline too small or way too big and I don't even bother because I won't buy larger unless it's going to be framed (such as game worn) and smaller does hurt value a little if that concerns you.

2. If you are in it for value and investment you should be looking at authentics to be honest, replicas don't hold the same value unless they are real rarities. With that said a serious collector can be one who collects for the hobby and pride and one who collects to eventually sell again and make some money. Then there is charitable folk like Brilliant on here who give away their jerseys like the Damphousse Leafs retro that he is sending me next month :D

3. I've built up a decent group of contacts in North America but wouldn't be kosher to share those, ebay is great for old jerseys and I hold icejerseys in high regard for some of the best customizing and they can even help with some of the oldies you get off ebay.

4. I collect jerseys because I find it a very worthwhile hobby, it's certainly not burning your money away and you'll always have them unless of course they are premier jerseys they'll fall apart in 10 years. :)

Welcome to the board buddy!

1- I actually try to buy jerseys that are my size, it varies depending on the company. I'm 48 for pro-player but 52 for CCM. I'm in the process of having an "all authentic" collection. My collection use to be all replicas. But after I got my first authentic, I never looked back, except for really rare jersey for which I make exceptions. Since I joined the board, my collection changed ALOT, I would say I've replaced 50%. Patience and ebay are the keys!

2- If you ever find an authentic jersey with a very low price on ebay, you should get it just to see how you find, maybe you'll find the extra money is worth it, maybe not! But I think you should try.

4- I usually collect jerseys that a) I find unique B) for the player on the jersey c) my favorite team. Unique jerseys, for me, are jerseys that are ugly and unpopular or very often jerseys with weird or unusual font like the fisherman jersey or even the lightning when they had paintbrush.

Cheers!

1. My original goal was to only collect jerseys I can wear. However as time has gone on, I've acquired a few that I would never think of wearing that I've had framed or plan to have framed or displayed in some manner.

2. I only own one game worn jersey and I frankly don't see myself getting many more simply because I can't justify the extra cost to myself. I started out like most with just replicas, but once I got my first authentic I couldn't go back to replicas. The only exception I make for my "no replica" rule is old ProPlayer replicas because the quality was better than some later authentics.

3. eBay & IJ

4. I'm a Rangers fan from Ohio, so I collect now because when I was a kid I could never find any hockey stuff locally, let alone something for my favorite team. Right now I restrict my collection to not just Rangers jerseys, but also jerseys of former/future Rangers on other teams.

Welcome aboard Johnny!

#1- I typically only collect my size because I enjoy wearing them. The only exception I make is when I stumble upon a jersey of one of my all time favorite players, and sometimes I will buy it with the intention of framing it someday. Cant wait to have my "man cave" to display some of my favorite jerseys :)

#2- The majority of my collection is authentics, but every once in while Ill find a great deal on an older CCM 550 that I cant pass up... such as the 90's era Kings jersey I snagged off JeffB via ebay (Thanks for the great jersey Jeff!). I dont consider myself a serious collector, but my fiance probably disagrees.

#3- Ebay and this forum are the best places to buy jerseys in my opinion. There are some great deals to be found just by checking out the "for sale" area here on IJ.

#4- Ive always loved collecting jerseys... I used to collect everything, any team, any style, any sport. But over the years Ive had to cut back a little and now I only collect those of my favorite teams from the major sports (Coyotes & Kings, AZ Cardinals, Dbacks, Phx Suns).

1. I try to buy jerseys my size (46, 52 with the EDGE Authentics), but if I see a sweet deal on a 44 or a 52, I won't hesitate to get it. My jerseys are more for collecting, I don't wear all of them that much.

2. I mostly go for authentics, just like having a fully completed authentic with proper patches. I do have a few replicas (Canada Nike Swifts, couldn't find authentics, and a few college jerseys that are rare enough as replicas, finding an authentic would be impossible). For the most part, authentics. I'd rather splurge and get a nice authentic for the price of two or three replicas.

3. I get my customizing done at icejerseys. I used to get my jerseys from TripleThreatSports pre-edge, but their prices have gone up to match what RBK wants charged. They used to charge 110/180 for fully customized replica/authentics. Besides that just ebay.

4. Not sure to be honest, I have always liked jerseys. I personally like to get jerseys a bit off the beaten path. I don't consider jerseys to be an investment, although as a collection there probably isn't a better time to be a buyer, as it is a buyers market big time. Too bad I am in Canada and we are getting killed with the dollar. A few months back when 1 CAD = 1 USD, I found some unbelievable deals on ebay. They are still pretty good with so many jerseys going for cheap these days, but it isn't the same deal. I'd say my favourite part of collecting is the looking and searching to find all of the components of a rare jersey - finding out if the player wore a letter, finding the right style and model, finding the right patches, and so on.

Hello, Johnny.

1. I buy jerseys the size I want, or bigger. I never go smaller. Hockey jerseys are not shirts, they are designed to be big, loose, not form fitting. If you want a shirt, buy a shirt. There are plenty out there with hockey logos on them.

2. I have 280 jerseys, and only one game-worn, and I got that for free. Only 25% of my collection is authentic, 75% replica. I'll let you decide if I'm "serious" about hockey jerseys. Buy what you want to and don't worry about what others say, or post. When you put hard-earned money into something, that makes you "serious" about it.

3. JeffB answered this well.

4. The hockey jersey is the quintessential hockey souvenir. I love the game and the jersey, to me, is the closest way to have a part of the game. Also, for me it's a good escape from the hassles and pressures of real life. Just going through my collection has on some occasions helped me forget life's problems, big and small.

Well, it's official. You have the single GREATEST last name in the history of the world. If only your first name was Clark! Then you could attempt to set the world's land-speed record! :D

I'm gonna take my turn at your questions now:

1. I will usually stick within 48 to 52 when I buy my jerseys. No matter the era, those sizes will always 'fit' me. HOWEVER, if I have the opportunity to get a really, really RARE and/or hard to find jersey in a 54 or a 56, I'm going for it. I'll deal with the added size if it gets me a rare piece.

2. If you're serious about what you do and what you go for, then that's all that should matter to you. Don't worry about what other people think of your collection. If you're happy with it, then more power to you! Personally, I only go for authentics because they're made and just feel that much better than replicas do.

3. Has already been stated.

4. I collect them because they're not tank tops, they're not short-sleeved button-downs and they're not elastic-like pullovers. Hockey jerseys are unlike any sporting uniform out there. They're made of such unique material, have beautifully created and designed logos sewn onto them and dammit they just feel AWESOME when you wear them. A lot of it has to do with the history of the jersey and the team too...especially on those ancient monsters that I love to hunt down on eBay!

Oh and then there's this:

Then there is charitable folk like Brilliant on here who give away their jerseys like the Damphousse Leafs retro that he is sending me next month :D

I'm glad you reminded me! What's your address again? 123 Fake Street? :P

I actually had what I think was a cool day for my jersey collecting. My brother called me and told me that there were a bunch of good condition CCM (550?) jerseys at some outlet place near me. 40 bucks each, so I picked up a Bruins, Hurricanes, Avalanche. (Couldn't bring myself to buy the Devils though.)

I appreciate all of the comments, everyone.

Welcome to the board! I'm pretty new at this myself, and have found this to be a great source of info.

1. I go for jerseys that are my size because I like to wear them. I also lean towards the smaller end of the size scale. If I lost 20 lbs, a Rbk 6100 size 46 and an Edge size 50 would fit great. ^_^ However, what I now buy is Rbk 48s and Edge 52s. For the older CCMs I can get away with a 48 or 52. It may make trades harder, but I’d rather have something that fits me over something I can only look at on a wall.

I might make an exception for a piece I really want, like the size 56 Hawks practice jersey I picked up. It fits me like a tent, but I’m still trying to figure a way to wear it for the St. Patrick’s day game without looking absolutely ridiculous. Eh, might just have to stick with the green hat for that one.

2. Collect what makes you happy. You can be as serious as you want to be with it no matter what your collection consists of. Some people are more into it than others, or can afford authentics or gamers. Personally, I go for authentics, but have a couple of ProPlayer replicas because I like their quality. Once I acquire most of the player jerseys I want, I might look into getting a game-worn or two at some point down the road.

3. I’ve picked up most of my bargains on e-Bay. I have yet to buy/sell/trade here, but wouldn’t hesitate to.

4. I’m really into Blackhawks jerseys. I buy them to wear, so the resale value isn’t as important to me as putting something together accurately. Researching and nailing down the details is half the fun sometimes. I learn new things about the team and its history each time I research something. Hunting down correct era jerseys for players, weeding out fakes, adding accurate patches and customization, and then wearing them to games all make it enjoyable for me.

Though my focus is Hawks jerseys, I’m also planning on adding a few “odds & ends” hockey jerseys to my collection. For example, I’d love to have jerseys from team Poland, the CCCP (1980), the University of Alaska, Anchorage, and the Air Force Academy, to name a few. Again, accuracy is still a key component in what I buy or put together.

Welcome

1: I buy jerseys that will fit me because I buy them to wear just like everyone else. Obviously game-worns are the exception as not many players wear 48's in the 6100's or 50's in the EDGE.

2: Collect what you want, it is your hard earned money going towards these purchases. Some feel that the jersey has to be 100% accurate, while some feel that as long as it is the right style then it is good to go. In the end it is your decision to make.

3: Think the point has been made on this one.

4: I started by purchasing players that I enjoyed watching. After a while, the trend changed to just my favorite players and players on my favorite team. Have had to cut back a bit recently but still have stuck with the theme mostly of players that I like, but have started to look towards getting jerseys of former University of Vermont players (Actually have one of these that I am waiting for currently)

hey guys, I stumbled on this forum in my search for Hawks jerseys and you all seem to be the authority. I'm not a serious collector, I only have about half a dozen and I'm pretty sure they're all only replicas. I'm also really not into the new RBK jerseys, I'm mostly looking for older CCM replicas and authentics.

So my questions-

1. Where do you get your jerseys? I've gotten a few off craigslist and even a couple from thrift stores, but ebay seems to be nothing but knockoffs these days and I don't trust anything on there.

2. How can you tell the difference between a replica and an authentic when it comes to the CCMs?

3. Any advice you can give someone like me who's just starting to collect?

Thanks

hey guys, I stumbled on this forum in my search for Hawks jerseys and you all seem to be the authority. I'm not a serious collector, I only have about half a dozen and I'm pretty sure they're all only replicas. I'm also really not into the new RBK jerseys, I'm mostly looking for older CCM replicas and authentics.

So my questions-

1. Where do you get your jerseys? I've gotten a few off craigslist and even a couple from thrift stores, but ebay seems to be nothing but knockoffs these days and I don't trust anything on there.

2. How can you tell the difference between a replica and an authentic when it comes to the CCMs?

3. Any advice you can give someone like me who's just starting to collect?

Thanks

Why didn't you post this in the thread that already exists?

I have some advice-try reading some of the threads and maybe use the "search" feature before starting a new thread.

0 Edited by HawksFan79

I guess this is the unofficial/official thread for rookie collectors?

I just started out collecting and as of now only have San Jose Sharks and a handful of All Star jerseys. I've decided to branch things out a bit and get a one or two jerseys from every team in the league. While looking around, I'm seeing letters and number of various sizes, particularly when it comes to the C and A on the chest. Is there a source somewhere with official specifications on the letters and number used for arms, chest, etc? I'm a bit too anal retentive when it comes to things like that.

Thanks.

I guess this is the unofficial/official thread for rookie collectors?

I just started out collecting and as of now only have San Jose Sharks and a handful of All Star jerseys. I've decided to branch things out a bit and get a one or two jerseys from every team in the league. While looking around, I'm seeing letters and number of various sizes, particularly when it comes to the C and A on the chest. Is there a source somewhere with official specifications on the letters and number used for arms, chest, etc? I'm a bit too anal retentive when it comes to things like that.

Thanks.

I don't think such a source exists. At least if it does, I'm not aware of it. I tend to just go by pictures. If you have a blank jersey that's not very rare, you can usually just send it someplace where they know what they're doing and they'll do it right.

I guess since I am looking for my first authentic, that would make me somewhat of a noob, so I guess this is the place to ask this question....

Do authentic jerseys come in goalie cut sizes?