The Best Local Jersey Store

SteveNJ

Where is the best place to get the coolest sweaters at good prices in your area?

Around here, we have Verona Sports Store in Caldwell, NJ where they sell stuff (aside from Devs and Rags apparel) vintage Pens, Hawks, Habs, Kings, Isles, Rockies, Scouts and every NHL team's current threads for reasonable coin.

It is very rare around here to see a store like that.

Where is your Verona Sports Store type place?

Where is the best place to get the coolest sweaters at good prices in your area?

Around here, we have Verona Sports Store in Caldwell, NJ where they sell stuff (aside from Devs and Rags apparel) vintage Pens, Hawks, Habs, Kings, Isles, Rockies, Scouts and every NHL team's current threads for reasonable coin.

It is very rare around here to see a store like that.

Where is your Verona Sports Store type place?

There isn't one within 2 hours, as far as I know. Crosby's used to be great, outside of MSG, but they've really gone down the tube these past few years.

The only place around here that sells jerseys at all is The Pro Image in the mall, but I have never bought one there. The only times I haven't bought online is when I have bought Steelheads jerseys at the game.

At one of the malls here, we have a Glass Cage Sports and a Just Sports, they sell about half to two-thirds of the NHL replicas. They price the jerseys at the MSRP or so. I never buy them there, I only buy jerseys online, no haggly sales people and the deals are usually better.

I have a few good choices in my area. A place called laux sporting goods (local mall store) is good for vintage and AHL jerseys. Greatskate a hockey supply store carries a full line of replicas. Lastly the Sabres Store (HSBC Arena's store) carries an ok selection of other teams replicas but of course they have a ton of Sabres replica's and Authentics (if they ever get them in).

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Buying a jersey in a store. That probably accounts for 2% of my jerseys. I get them all online. Stores either don't have a wide selection or cannot come close to the prices you can get online.

That having been said, Scheel's is a sporting goods chain in the North Dakota-Minnesota-Wisconsin region that has sold me more jerseys than all other retail stores combined.

At one of the malls here, we have a Glass Cage Sports and a Just Sports, they sell about half to two-thirds of the NHL replicas. They price the jerseys at the MSRP or so. I never buy them there, I only buy jerseys online, no haggly sales people and the deals are usually better.

I hit jackpot during the lockout jerseywise at those stores. I bought a North Stars, Stars, Kings, and old Penguins at either $40 or less, really expanding my collection. There's a sports store in Tempe that the name escapes me right now, its across the street from Borders and had a real good selection. I bought a Jaromir Jagr Capitals jersey there for $60 and a Brendan Shanahan Red Wings jersey there for $100. They had even a Pascal Dupuis Wild jersey there at one point.

• 1 month later...
In the metro Detroit area, the only one that I've seen that sells anything other than Red Wings is DC Sports (formerly known as Diamond Connection). I go there to get my jerseys stitched up, because they use the pro style and quality letters and numbers.

Where I live now, there's plaza sports in rocky pt new york owned by the ferarro's, but i think they suck big time. where i used to live there was RKE athletic in belmar, nj but they would use replica lettering unless u told them to use the pro kind.

Yeah I know exactly where you mean in Belmar. Right on route 71 between 16th and 17th Aves. I never got any lettering done there but I had a bad experience in that store so I never went back. Nice Strudwick jersey...now we need to bring him back from Switzerland.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped into a local sporting goods store today on my way home from work just to check out what kind of jerseys they'd have and I wound up finding a really nice looking blue Maple Leafs from before they put the TML on the shoulder. For $20, I just had to get it. Then, after moving that to the side, what do my eyes behold? An away Islanders fisherman jersey...for 10 bucks. 10 BUCKS!! I started laughing so hard, all the customers started looking at me. I just HAD to buy it...I can give it to my buddy who loves the Isles.

nice pickups

I stopped into a local sporting goods store today on my way home from work just to check out what kind of jerseys they'd have and I wound up finding a really nice looking blue Maple Leafs from before they put the TML on the shoulder. For $20, I just had to get it. Then, after moving that to the side, what do my eyes behold? An away Islanders fisherman jersey...for 10 bucks. 10 BUCKS!! I started laughing so hard, all the customers started looking at me. I just HAD to buy it...I can give it to my buddy who loves the Isles.

Nice! That Islanders fisherman jersey was so hated, yet seems so popular on Ebay.

Yesterday I had the opposite experience. I went to a place I hadn't been to for a couple of years that, for some unknown reason, has a good reputation around town.

They had about 8 jerseys hanging from the ceiling and I'd say 5 of them were terrible customization jobs. The numbers on an Avalanche jersey were so large and low, they over lapped the waist stripe area. A pair of old Mighty Ducks alternate jerseys with the wrong color for the names, the wrong font for the numbers AND the fonts didn't even match each other between the two jerseys! They had a Panthers jersey with standard letters in an arched shape (radially arched) instead of the vertical letters that distort in a curve (vertically arched) like Detroit also does. And these were the "prime examples" on display. Yuk.

The shopping highlight was an original Ottawa Senators road jersey in a Medium, the black one with black armbands instead of the later change to white. "Marked down" from $99.99(!) to $59.99. You'd think after having it sit there for literally 10 years they'd want to move the dumb thing. It's bad enough they haven't marked it down much, but starting from such a inflated original price doesn't help either.

525576710xReBJc_th.jpg

I'm kicking myself today, that's for sure. When I had picked up that Gorton's Fisherman jersey on Thursday, I had also seen an LA Kings Burger King jersey but DIDN'T buy it. I went back there today to see if it was still there and it wasn't. ARGH! The guy told me they sold it yesterday. Figures. However, I did find a nice old Tampa Bay 3rd from the mid-90's.

tbl-vi.jpg

Nice grab the Burger King would have been awesome though.

I'm kicking myself today, that's for sure. When I had picked up that Gorton's Fisherman jersey on Thursday, I had also seen an LA Kings Burger King jersey but DIDN'T buy it. I went back there today to see if it was still there and it wasn't. ARGH! The guy told me they sold it yesterday. Figures. However, I did find a nice old Tampa Bay 3rd from the mid-90's.

What kind of time capsule store is this? Did they lock the doors in 1996 and just reopen this week? I can't believe one store would have the old Islanders, the Burger King AND the Lightning Alt in this day and age, especially at $10 instead of $90+. Weird.

Good deal there. I have one of those TB 3rds and it is one of my favorite jerseys, even though most of the world hates it. I will never let go of that one. Nor will I ever let go of my Wild Wing 3rd. Those are hard to come by, you were fortunate enough to stumble upon the ones you found. I can't believe you passed on the LA Burger King one. If there's a design that is no longer in production and I don't absolutely hate that team, it must be added to the collection.

The guy at the register told me that some guy brought a whole bunch of his old jerseys in earlier in the week and sold them all to the place. I just assumed that all the great old ones were the ones he dumped. His loss! Theirs too for selling them so cheap.

I can't believe you passed on the LA Burger King one. If there's a design that is no longer in production and I don't absolutely hate that team, it must be added to the collection.

I know I know. I'm killing myself for doing it. I really have no reason. It just didn't click. I knew what it was and how rare it was but I just didn't grab it. Stupid stupid stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

Close to me, there's Play Ball in Westland, MI, but the last time I was there, the owner told me there was a dealer who would purchase all the jerseys from other teams so they would only sell Wings jerseys, which blows. They had some good ones, like a Flyers Lindros jersey for $65 and a number of jerseys from defunct/moved franchises.

There are also a few in Troy like Red Wings Authentics and the one at the Troy Sports Centers has a few good ones.

I hate going to the big sporting goods places like Modell's or the Sports Authority. Seems like they always have the cheapest stuff. Letters glued on and sometimes even screen printed! What a disgrace. Even the hockey equipment sections have dwindled greatly. It's a shame really.

The Modell's around here usually have grade-A flyers jerseys. The hockey equipment usually includes nothing but those mylec sticks and the maybe one or two of the baseball catcher style goalie chest protectors. Rivercitysports has a lot of selection but the prices are kinda high for me. Jersey-wise your best bet is here or ebay.