2008 3rd Jersey Thread

Cooke-yMonster

The only problem with the Whalers jerseys is that the city of Hartford still owns the rights to the name and team design. That's why there's never been any legitimate replications of the old Whalers jerseys by CCM Vintage. I guess they're still holding out hope that a team will come back.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Peter Karmanos owns the rights to the Hartford Whalers trademark. Also, they did remake RBK Whalers hats that were available at the NHL Store in NYC, but I was told they sold out in just one day.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now a site called Icethetics allegedly has the logos up. Take it with a grain of salt but some of them are really interesting (and some are really boring). If the Desert Dogs go with the proposed logo I might just have to get myself a Mueller one.

http://icethetics.blogspot.com/

phxcoyotes.jpg

i'm really liking the what i've seen so far of the bolts and coyotes logos - i'm hoping the overall design of the jerseys are just as good. on the other end of the spectrum the thrashers design looks horrible, but maybe they can save it with a good design of the jersey itself.

i think the "thats what you should have done from the start" award will go to dallas - i think their current home/black jersey design is really well done, but their current white/away jerseys take that same concept and ruin it. sounds like their 3rd will literally just be a new white version of the black jersey and i expect them to eventually make the new 3rd jersey their permanent away jersey.

Does anyone know any actual release dates for the third jerseys?

Icethetics has a count down for Carolina and one other team (can't remember and that site is blocked for me at work - maybe Buffalo) listing their official release of their third jerseys as Sept. 20th and Sept. 21st. I know the Carolina one is correct - they have some fan festival for that weekend and said they would release the jersey then.

EA's NHL 08 game comes out on Sept. 9th so some of the jerseys may be shown there - but like last year they may pull a move where you have to wait to get a code on a certain date to "unlock" the new jersey designs.

So either way it looks like mid to late September before they'll be released.

Boy...I gotta say aside from the Isles and Flyers(okay, Sabres and Pens too), so far, I'm not a fan of the new third jerseys. Sens? Bolts? Since when do team nicknames belong on a jersey? That's probably just the old school in me talking though.

Boy...I gotta say aside from the Isles and Flyers(okay, Sabres and Pens too), so far, I'm not a fan of the new third jerseys. Sens? Bolts? Since when do team nicknames belong on a jersey? That's probably just the old school in me talking though.

i kinda agree with you - but also i'm not a fan of "the lightning" as a team name. i get the concept and i like it, but it just always seems weird to me when team names aren't plural. so in that case "bolts" sounds better to me.

I agree 100%. Seems kinda less professional to me, like something you'd see in the minors.

I agree 100%. Seems kinda less professional to me, like something you'd see in the minors.

YES. That's exactly it. It just seems like the NHL is really starting to pander down to people who aren't fans to try and make them fans. That's pretty frustrating for real fans.

I'd even be more willing to accept a Rangers-style jersey with LIGHTNING or SENATORS diagonally across the chest and the primary logos on the shoulders. I think those would look fairly decent actually. Pittsburgh and Colorado did it and they did it well.

actually i do agree with what you guys are saying - with just one exception. to me the name "Lightning" is ALREADY pandering to non-fans in some ways (in my opinion atleast) - it's a non-traditional sports team name.

RangerS - BruinS - Red WingS - BlackhawkS ... LightningS doesn't work ... so in my way (and i'm not deluded enough to think anyone else would agree) BoltS is more old school hockey to me than Lightning.

• 2 weeks later...
i think the "thats what you should have done from the start" award will go to dallas - i think their current home/black jersey design is really well done, but their current white/away jerseys take that same concept and ruin it. sounds like their 3rd will literally just be a new white version of the black jersey and i expect them to eventually make the new 3rd jersey their permanent away jersey.

I agree with you on that one. I'd like to see them come up with another black or green jersey and have the Stars logo with maybe Dallas on the shoulders. That Texas secondary logo is very well done and I'd hate to see them get rid of it completely.

Update on Puck Daddy about the Kings third logo. Thoughts?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,101826

Looks more like a shoulder patch

Looks more like a shoulder patch

That's what I thought as well. I think it loses its "punch" if its broadened to fit on the front of the jersey.

• 3 weeks later...

Really? How reliable is that? Some of those look a little Photoshop-ed...the Canes and Blues ones in particular. HOWEVER, that first Habs jersey is KILLER with the old CAC leaf. I love the old red, white and blue barber pole design. Even the CA one is awesome. Both of those would be good choices. I'd love to have one of those thirds with the All-Star patch and possibly even a #33 patch? Ooooh baby!

Really? How reliable is that? Some of those look a little Photoshop-ed...the Canes and Blues ones in particular. HOWEVER, that first Habs jersey is KILLER with the old CAC leaf. I love the old red, white and blue barber pole design. Even the CA one is awesome. Both of those would be good choices. I'd love to have one of those thirds with the All-Star patch and possibly even a #33 patch? Ooooh baby!

Not very reliable. Those were created by people at HockeyWidgets.com, using common descriptions of the jerseys might look like. Some of them are a little mixed up. The back and front of the Sabres jersey is totally different, and apparently Conroy got in trouble with the law, because he has changed his last name to "Conboy"

New Sabs jersey (allegedly) I love me the ties. What do you guys think?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,106224

New Sabs jersey (allegedly) I love me the ties. What do you guys think?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,106224

I do like the new Sabs 3rd. Does seem a tad dark as they mentioned, but I prefer it that way. I still don't agree with all the hate for the "Buffaslug" or whatever you want to call it. I think it's cool and the current regular Sabs jerseys are my favorite "new" style jersey.

It's looking less and less likely that the Rangers will have a 3rd jersey. I'm a bit conflicted by it - I love the liberty style (I've even grown to love the one-season white liberty jersey) but if they didn't stick with that I don't want them to come up with something else and just stick with the classic style.

I'm still excited by what I've seen so far of the "alleged" Phoenix and Tampa Bay 3rds - just sucks they have to be Edge jerseys.

Oofah. What is with the dark coloring? I don't like that at all. Nor do I like the piping on the inside of the arms. Man, even given the opportuinty to utilize one of the greatest jerseys of all time, Reebok STILL managed to F it up. What else can they do to the uniforms? Put racing stripes and tail fins on them to make them more aerodynamic?

Nor do I like the piping on the inside of the arms.

Wow I totally didn't even notice the under arm striping. That's horrible. I was thinking this was what they were going after:

Sabres1.gif

Which seems a touch darker than than the more "royal" blue they used before the red and black change over.