NHL Playoff Thread

That was actually a decent game. Pens didn't seem to be able to do much at all in the 3rd. Hossa almost managed to get it in the 3rd just as time expired. Ended up being a pretty good series.

Congrats to the Red Wings.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was kind of hoping Pittsburgh wouldn't score again when it was 3-1 just so the series winning goal wouldn't be the one that went in off Fleury's butt. What a dud goal that one was, and now it's the series clincher.

Now he's the one who shot the puck in off his own defenseman's rump for the winning goal for the USA in the 2004 World Juniors and squirted the puck in the net with his butt to lose the Stanley Cup. I've never, ever seen anything like that happen before and might never will and it's just too bad it had to happen in a game that meant so much.

Kudos to the Wings, they are one helluva team.

I was hoping that Hossa could've gotten that by Osgood on that last play. That ended up being an awesome finish and an awesome series though. Its ironic to me that Osgood wins the Cup with the Wings again, after they bounced him to the Islanders a few years ago and then to the Blues. Zetterberg was a deserving Conn Smythe Trophy winner.

Add Dallas Drake to the club of vets who win the Cup towards or at the end of their careers. I enjoy seeing moments like that.

i'm glad that the wings didn't score an empty netter. i'm also glad that the pens went down swinging, atleast in the last 2 minutes.

i would have liked to see the pens win, but i can honestly say i think the better team won.

what i want to know is why was Chelios dressed like he played? was it just for the pictures? i've see guys not dressed in the cup clinching game in past years come out wearing a jersey over their clothes and raise the cup, but never wearing hockey pants, socks, and skated when they didn't play that night. just seemed weird to me. then again i was upset that Osgood wasn't the 2nd or 3rd to raise the cup.

i'm glad that the wings didn't score an empty netter. i'm also glad that the pens went down swinging, atleast in the last 2 minutes.

i would have liked to see the pens win, but i can honestly say i think the better team won.

what i want to know is why was Chelios dressed like he played? was it just for the pictures? i've see guys not dressed in the cup clinching game in past years come out wearing a jersey over their clothes and raise the cup, but never wearing hockey pants, socks, and skated when they didn't play that night. just seemed weird to me. then again i was upset that Osgood wasn't the 2nd or 3rd to raise the cup.

Actually, all the guys who didn't play were geared up, including the Grand Rapids boys who'd spent at least one game on the roster. Aaron Downey, Derek Meech, and Kyle Quincey were scratches along with Chelios. I think it's just one of those Mike Ilitch things. :)

I thought it was a great series. The Pens were clearly outplayed but really made a go of it in the last 2 minutes. Can't wait for next season to start up!

It is always interesting to me to see who else has their jersey on for the Cup celebration. I noticed Mark Hartigan in a Wings sweater, he was with the the Ducks last season and on the ice for their celebration.

I have to say I respect the Wings and how that organization is run despite rooting against them regularly . They manage to keep the right guys in place and build around them, making the guys they bring in usually better in the process, like Mikael Samuelsson and look what it did for Dan Cleary. I too, think the better team won despite the valiant fight put up by the Penguins towards the end.

As for the Pens, it is cool to see them doing well after such a rocky start to the post lockout era with their arena situation. Hopefully they find a way to keep Malkin, Staal, and Fleury long term and figure out how to work with their Cap situation. I tend to think they'll be back in the Finals soon.

I've been looking forward to next season though, since my teams have been done for the summer for awhile now.

I work for a public school district in the Metro Detroit area, and I was talking to a staff member at one of the elementary schools that I service. I was talking to her about my original plan to go downtown for the parade today, but ended up not being able to because the other techs were off today, leaving me as the sole full-timer in the office. She remarked that one of the Wings players' son goes to school there and his class was supposed to go to the zoo today, but he'll be missing it because he's with his dad in the parade :)

I thought that was so awesome. I'd want to hang out with my Red Wing dad, too, if I had the chance! :)