NHL Playoff Thread

Penguins in the Finals after finishing off the Flyers. 12-2 in the playoffs so far, very impressive.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Pens- a true dispatching last night.

It will be REALLY interesting to see what Detroit does tonight in Dallas. Going home has got to be a big advantage to the Stars. If they make it 3-3 all bets are off for game 7 as Turco has proven he can win at the Joe.

Only four teams in history have ever forced the seventh game after going down 0-3:

1939 Rangers vs. Bruins(lost in double OT)

1942 Maple Leafs vs. Red Wings(won)

1975 Islanders vs. Penguins(won)

1975 Islanders vs. Flyers(lost)

Could we see history tonight?

It is now official. Red Wings vs Penguins for the Cup. While I am not a fan of either team really, I hope the Penguins win it. The only downside to that (for Non-Penguin fans) is to hear all the talk about Crosby winning the Cup if they win it all.

Cup Finals Schedule.

No. 1 Detroit Red Wings vs. No. 2 Pittsburgh Penguins

Game 1, Saturday -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8 p.m.

Game 2, Monday -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8 p.m.

Game 3, May 28 -- Detroit at Pittsburgh, 8 p.m.

Game 4, May 31 -- Detroit at Pittsburgh, 8 p.m.

*-Game 5, June 2 -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8 p.m.

*-Game 6, June 4 -- Detroit at Pittsburgh, 8 p.m.

*-Game 7, June 7 -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8 p.m.

(all times ET; * -- if necessary)

I think Crosby-mania is exactly what the NHL needs to be pushing if it ever plans on attracting any fair-weather or non-traditional fans (and let's face it -- those are the fans who get interested and a percentage of them stick around to become real hockey fans even as the others lose interest), and to have the Penguins facing the perennial power-house of Detroit is just marketing gold for the NHL, if they can pull it off correctly.

That said, the bar I was in last night was complete and utter chaos -- you'd think that the Wings had already won the Cup, with all the hootin' and hollerin' :)

No matter: the extra few days gives Franzen a few more days of recovery. Now let's see some high-flyin' offense!

I think Crosby-mania is exactly what the NHL needs to be pushing if it ever plans on attracting any fair-weather or non-traditional fans (and let's face it -- those are the fans who get interested and a percentage of them stick around to become real hockey fans even as the others lose interest), and to have the Penguins facing the perennial power-house of Detroit is just marketing gold for the NHL, if they can pull it off correctly.

That said, the bar I was in last night was complete and utter chaos -- you'd think that the Wings had already won the Cup, with all the hootin' and hollerin' :)

No matter: the extra few days gives Franzen a few more days of recovery. Now let's see some high-flyin' offense!

I'm not sure the NHL could have picked a better finals matchup given the choice - as long as Ovechkin and Crosby are in the same conference - if they were given the option.

Now let's hope that the games are 6-5 and not 2-1 games. I'm hoping either way that we get 6 or 7 games and not a 4-0 or 4-1 letdown.

Jeff

While I do agree that Crosby-Mania is good for the league, me as an already hockey fan I personally am just not looking forward to all the Crosby-talk.

While I do agree that Crosby-Mania is good for the league, me as an already hockey fan I personally am just not looking forward to all the Crosby-talk.

Ditto for me too.

I'd prefer not to see the series start out by one team taking a 3 games to none lead, then having the team down suddenly wake up and win the next two to start threatening a game 7. Then proceed to lose game 6 in spectacular fashion. Me personally, I'm hoping this is one competitive series that goes 7 games but is back and forth.

The one thing I'll say about this series, is to me it feels like these teams should've played for the Cup at one point in the 90s. Pittsburgh's return to prominence has been good to see after all the headaches and struggles they've went through the last few seasons with their ownership and arena uncertainties.

Game 1 was actually a good game until Detroit opened it up at the end of the game. Fleury played pretty well, but Osgood played better.

Game 1 was actually a good game until Detroit opened it up at the end of the game. Fleury played pretty well, but Osgood played better.

Sheesh. 5-0 Detroit. I didn't see that one coming.

Yes, 5-0. That waved off goal was nonsense.

Hmm 2-0 series lead and 2 shutouts to boot? Methinks this does not bode well for the Pens. Man ever since the fist round these series have sucked!

Looks like Crosby and the Red Wings have done what the NHL was hoping for. Televison Ratings in the US are up for the Finals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008...tory?id=3412353

finally an exciting game in the finals. i'd rather the pens win than the wings, but most of all i just want to watch some good hockey games.

finally an exciting game in the finals. i'd rather the pens win than the wings, but most of all i just want to watch some good hockey games.

After these last couple of rounds, I think an exciting series is all anyone is looking for. That being said, man that Igloo was rocking and I don't care what you think of Crosby, he brought it last night. Sure Vs and NBC might fall over him every chance they get but he has real skillz to back up all the praise he has been getting. ###### them for a 2 day layover though!

A buddy of mine who's also a huge hockey fan (and might actually be lurking around here as we speak) is moving into my house on Saturday for a bit while he looks for his own place since he got a new job, so my wife and I are taking him to our bar for Game 4. The timing works! :)

My fantasy hockey league, now in our 11th season, will be getting together tomorrow night for game four.

My friend is really into the latest technology so we are going to have the game on his 4 foot by 8 foot projection screen in hi-definition with surround sound. It's a great experience watching games at his place with the leather couches and bar area. During the regular season he's also got his laptop running our league homepage which updates our fantasy team scores and standings in real time.

We traditional order pizza and call it our "Pizza & Pucks Night™".

If I'm sufficiently motivated, I will sometimes bring a selection of jerseys to display upstairs as people arrive to set the atmosphere.

I hope the game tomorrow is as close and exciting as game 3.

Jeff

I hope the game tomorrow is as close and exciting as game 3.

Jeff

Sadly, except for that 5-3 and the last 60 seconds, this game was watching the Pens flounder and the Red Wings step on the throat. Yeesh, I thought the flightless waterfowl would put up more of a fight. Hopefully tonight the series will shift back to the Burg.

I hope Pittsburgh wins tonight as I won't be able to watch the game and can't DVR it since I am out of town. If the Penguins win, I would be home on Wednesday and be able to watch the next game.

Triple OT win tonight for Pittsburgh, 4-3, that was one exciting last minute of regulation and I hope it sets them up to win Wednesday night in the Burgh'. I definitely enjoyed this one tonight.

Tonight's game was 5 times better than Saturday's even before the overtimes. I hope Wednesday's game is as good either way with the game on primetime network TV.

Tonight's game was 5 times better than Saturday's even before the overtimes. I hope Wednesday's game is as good either way with the game on primetime network TV.

Wow- what a game! Pittsburg, clearly outplayed, bided their time, wore down the Wings and scored on a beautiful goal. Can't wait for Wed!

That was a good one. We had to scream home from the bar after the first OT, since I only live about 2 miles away and would rather deal with 6 or 7 OTs in my own living room :)

Still burns me that we were only 34 seconds away from closing it out, but objectively speaking, that was a good game. The Wings didn't let Kronwall's total blunder break their spirit too badly.