NHL Playoff Thread

Well both Conferences will have new Champions this year. Dallas finished off Anaheim tonight. 5th straight season that the Defending Cup Champion failed to get out of the 1st Round.

What will Selanne and Niedermayer do now?

2 Game 7's and still have the chance at another one if the Caps can win it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montreal just played a great game to finish off that series. Sometimes you need a tough first round to kick you into gear for the rest of the playoffs.

Now they just wait for either the Flyers or the Rangers.

Man, Washington made some kinda comeback. They've got all the momentum now...especially since they're playing tomorrow.

I was on pins and needles every time Vs. went to "hockey central" with an update from that game. First update - Flyers goal. Second update - another Flyers goal. I was really getting depressed. I did see Washington pulled one back but then it was bedtime for my son and I was a way for awhile. By the time I got back the next update I saw had the Caps going up 4-2! Wow. Where did that come from? I didn't expect that kind of a turn around.

Let's go Caps!

What really sucks, tomorrow has 2 Game 7's and I am not gonna be able to be home to watch either of them. Guess it is better to miss First Round Game 7's as opposed to Conference Final or Stanley Cup Game 7's.

How bout that riot in Montreal last night? Yeesh its only the first round people!

I hope to get back home in time for the Flames game- that one should be amazing.

Well the 2nd round is set. Sadly didn't get to see either of the two games except for maybe 5 minutes of the Caps/Flyers game. Though I am very glad the Sharks won.

Round 2 Matchups.

East:

Montreal vs Philadelphia

Pittsburgh vs Rangers

West:

Detroit vs Colorado

San Jose vs Dallas

Some very interesting matchups. Obviously there is some history between Detroit and Colorado, but that was long ago and the rivalry seems to have died down a bit. I think San Jose vs Dallas is going to be the most fun to watch in this round.

Montreal in 6

Pittsburgh in 5

Detroit in 7

San Jose in 6.

What a game last night in Montreal. Thank God for CI so I got the CBC feed. I would love to attend a game, it was so loud. But ###### how many icings were there in the 3rd period? Should be a great series.

The Detroit/Avs series started about how I expected it to go. The Avs keep it close but ultimately lose. I want to see how Detroit fares against the Sharks- that would be a hell of a WCF.

Is Montreal in trouble? They keep getting down, have a slight comeback but can't come back all the way. I don't know how they are going to get over the hump in this series.

Is Montreal in trouble? They keep getting down, have a slight comeback but can't come back all the way. I don't know how they are going to get over the hump in this series.

The way Pittsburgh looks, it might not matter who wins that Philly/Montreal series.

Ditto on that one! They are tough. I tend to think it'll be Pitt-Philly in the East and Dal-Det out West. Wouldn't that be something if 3 of 4 of these series turn out to be sweeps?

Its amazing how close the 1st round series were that these are becoming such blowouts!

And I agree, the Pens are on fire. Even if they meet MTL in the finals, I think they are going all the way.

Well we got an All-Pennsylvania Eastern Conference Final. Philly played well against Montreal but the way Pittsburgh is playing in these playoffs, I believe Pittsburgh will win the Series.

Wow, what a game between the Stars and Sharks. Very glad that I don't have to be at work until 3PM though since I stayed up and watched the whole game.

Didn't do so well in my Conference Semi's picks as I only got 1 out of 4 teams right. So I am now hoping whoever wins the Pennsylvania series wins the whole thing.

I'll go so far as to say that Dallas will win Game 1, Detroit takes the next 2, Dallas for 1, then Detroit closes it out. Pittsburgh had a similar situation, with 8 days off after sweeping Ottawa, losing Game 1 to Montreal in overtime, but then taking the next four in a row. Seemed like the Bruins series took a lot out of the Habs just like I'm hoping that Dallas is drained :)

Well, I've failed miserably in my predictions for the playoffs. I threw them out the window this round that just ended.

I've been reading it could be the last we could see of Peter Forsberg and possibly Joe Sakic. I hope last night wasn't the last we saw of JR, he really impressed me the last couple of nights.

Methinks Detroit and the Pens will overcome really tough opponents to meet in a hell of final. I just think Detroit's offense will be too much and Pittsburgh D-goalies will shut down Philly more than Montreal could. Of course, I had SJ/Montreal in the finals so what do I know?

Well, I've failed miserably in my predictions for the playoffs. I threw them out the window this round that just ended.

I've been reading it could be the last we could see of Peter Forsberg and possibly Joe Sakic. I hope last night wasn't the last we saw of JR, he really impressed me the last couple of nights.

Forsberg should really hang it up. His body just can't handle it anymore. Sakic could still play and there's a terrific group of young players in Colorado, so it's not like he's going to be toiling for a team going nowhere like Sundin is.

Roenick could really stop right now. It's a great chance for him to go out, while not holding The Cup, but "on top" of his game. He's got his 500 goals and has the opportunity to quit on his own terms, something not everyone gets to do.

I see a Detroit vs. Pittsburgh matchup in the finals going to Detroit. Detroit just seems like they are on another level from everyone else, but Dallas could be a tougher test than the Penguins if Turco stays on top of his game.

Forsberg should really hang it up. His body just can't handle it anymore. Sakic could still play and there's a terrific group of young players in Colorado, so it's not like he's going to be toiling for a team going nowhere like Sundin is.

Roenick could really stop right now. It's a great chance for him to go out, while not holding The Cup, but "on top" of his game. He's got his 500 goals and has the opportunity to quit on his own terms, something not everyone gets to do.

I see a Detroit vs. Pittsburgh matchup in the finals going to Detroit. Detroit just seems like they are on another level from everyone else, but Dallas could be a tougher test than the Penguins if Turco stays on top of his game.

I agree with you on Forsberg, he's gotta start thinking about his later years in life and how he wants to live them. He's been awesome to watch play and I wish (part hope) I could see him play live someday, but I don't think its meant to be. I'd like to see Sakic retire after 2010 and a spot in the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. He's still got it and could be a great mentor to guys like Stastny, Wolski, and Svatos. Colorado really surprised me with how they managed to make the second round.

According to what I've seen on the Sharks boards, JR will return for another year. After a disastrous 06-07 in Phoenix, I was happy to see him be effective with the Sharks. To me, watching him on Friday and Sunday night reminded me of the way he used to be. I was impressed with the effort. I think he could do well next year in a different, reduced role for the Sharks.

Detroit takes game 1 vs. the Stars, 4-1. I can't see Detroit not winning this thing this year, they just look too good.

This years playoffs seem backwards. The first round was full of excitement, the 2nd and 3rd rounds have been complete blowouts for the most part. Just seems weird.

This years playoffs seem backwards. The first round was full of excitement, the 2nd and 3rd rounds have been complete blowouts for the most part. Just seems weird.

Its been a strange one for sure. I was expecting more out of the Conference Finals. With the way the Wings and Pens are playing though, I really hope we're in for a helluva Cup Final.

Its been a strange one for sure. I was expecting more out of the Conference Finals. With the way the Wings and Pens are playing though, I really hope we're in for a helluva Cup Final.

That has to be the hope at this point. The first round was so awesome, so much sleeplessness and I have just been bored stiff the next two rounds. If both win out tonight and tomorrow are we looking at a Monday-Wed-Fri broadcast sched?

This year really reminds me of 1992. Great first round series, crappy the rest of the way. That year, both Conference Finals were sweeps then the Finals was a sweep. So far, both are sweeps. Hopefully, we can get a Wings sweep in the Finals too.