New York Rangers 3rd nameplate

JohnC

This is my first post so go easy on me if this is a noob question :thumbsup:

I ordered a Ryan McDonagh replica third jersey from coolhockey.com and when it arrived the nameplate wasn't right. After about three months they finally send me a replacement, and once again the nameplate's still wrong. This is what it looks like:

Gexc7xA.jpg

7EUAMND.jpg

I did a little digging and it seems that a lot of sites use the same nameplate, including ice jerseys. Can someone explain why?

Are you questioning the material or the lettering? The lettering is wrong to begin with. The arch should be radial, not straight on the Heritage sweaters. The Rangers home and away jerseys are arched straight.

Are you questioning the material or the lettering? The lettering is wrong to begin with. The arch should be radial, not straight on the Heritage sweaters. The Rangers home and away jerseys are arched straight.

Both the material and the lettering. I've seen it like this on a few different sites and I know that it's really wrong

CoolHockey, imo, does not seem to pay much attention at all to accuracy, in regards to both fonts and materials. Have you already sent them good photos of the on-ice lettering (on a gamer) as a guide? If so, and they've messed up twice, then you'll need to make a decision on whether you should just give up with them and try someone else. If you haven't, and want to try again, it's always a good idea to send guide photos- as you've already seen, even professional customizers sometimes have no clue as to what they are doing, even though they claim to use the "same lettering as the on-ice jerseys." It looks like the nameplate might be twill, which would be wrong for every team except Philadelphia, I think. Since the replica jersey material is already different from that of the on-ice jersey, it may not make sense to get too worked up about the nameplate material used, but then again, twill is indeed pretty different-looking from what teams usually use.

The best advice one can give you, if you really want accuracy, is to go with the team customizer, whenever possible.

CoolHockey, imo, does not seem to pay much attention at all to accuracy, in regards to both fonts and materials. Have you already sent them good photos of the on-ice lettering (on a gamer) as a guide? If so, and they've messed up twice, then you'll need to make a decision on whether you should just give up with them and try someone else. If you haven't, and want to try again, it's always a good idea to send guide photos- as you've already seen, even professional customizers sometimes have no clue as to what they are doing, even though they claim to use the "same lettering as the on-ice jerseys." It looks like the nameplate is twill, which is wrong for every team except Philadelphia, I think. Since the replica jersey material is already different from that of the on-ice jersey, it may not make sense to get too worked up about the nameplate material used, but then again, twill is indeed pretty different-looking from what teams usually use.

The best advice one can give you, if you really want accuracy, is to go with the team customizer, whenever possible.

I did include pictures of what it's supposed to look like, here's the story

This is between March and now:

Called to say jersey was ****ed up. Play phone tag for a few days until they tell me they'll replace it. After a month I call and find out they supposedly never received the return. After 2 weeks we finally get a nice supervisor who says they'll replace it for free. 2 weeks later still no replacement. Call again. Supposedly we were supposed to confirm the order again. One month later still no jersey. Finally get it. Not only is the nameplate still wrong, they give me a large instead of a medium (idk even know how they possibly could've screwed that one up). They have me send back the replacement and I'm waiting on another replacement.

The only cooperative person was the supervisor. Dreadful costumer service that should've never had to have been dealt with in the first place

I regret not just sending it to ArenaWear (the team's official customizer) to have them fix it from the get go

I just had EPS make a nameplate for my Heritage Dubinsky 1.0, which is in my sales thread (I can't post pics from my iPhone), and they did a great job. I have two heritage gamers (again, in my threads):

1. My Newbury gamer from the 85th anniversary season, which has an airknit nameplate.

2. My Stralman gamer from last season, which has an edge material nameplate, so it depends on which one you want.

This is one of those situations that you just chalk up to experience. If you're still pretty new at this, you'll quickly pick up which are the best places to go for each type of jersey you want done. I'm sure most of us here have had similar experiences in the past.

John, I just thought I'd add something so you can see how crazy this customization business can get. Like biggoalie said, the Rangers have used both air-knit and Edge stretch mesh nameplate material on the on-ice Heritage jerseys. Since your replica jersey contains neither air-knit nor Edge mesh, neither one of those materials is going to accurately match your replica jersey. Even if you bought a retail authentic Heritage (Edge 1.0), that jersey was not made of the same material as the on-ice jersey either!

I am definitely new at this.

Your first great decision in heading down the right path was not starting another 2.0 thread! :P

• 2 weeks later...

It's still not radial, unfortunately. Who did it this time?

From the pictures I still can't tell exactly what that nameplate is made of. If it's made of the same mesh material that's in the back panel, then that's probably the best you'll get. As I said earlier, no material that they could possibly put on a replica is going to accurately match what's on the on-ice authentics, so to me it makes little sense to worry that much about the nameplate material. I would be more annoyed that after 3 attempts they can't get the letters cut properly.

From the pictures I still can't tell exactly what that nameplate is made of. If it's made of the same mesh material that's in the back panel, then that's probably the best you'll get. As I said earlier, no material that they could possibly put on a replica is going to accurately match what's on the on-ice authentics, so to me it makes little sense to worry that much about the nameplate material. I would be more annoyed that after 3 attempts they can't get the letters cut properly.

I'm likely gonna come to grips with the material. Wanna explain this radial mumbo jumbo to me? :)

Look at Choyboy's nameplate. Each letter is either positioned straight up and down, or tilted slightly to the left or right depending on the position of the letter in the name. If you draw a line through the top and bottom of each letter, all these lines will intersect at the same point below the letters, like spokes on a wheel, i.e., they are radially arranged. Each letter is basically rectangular in shape. Your letters are not like that. Each letter is oriented straight up and down, with just the tops and bottoms of the letters curved up or down depending on position. If you draw a line through the top and bottom of each letter, the lines run parallel to each other, they will not intersect anywhere. The letters on the left and right are not rectangular, they are more like parallelograms.

Look at Choyboy's nameplate. Each letter is either positioned straight up and down, or tilted slightly to the left or right depending on the position of the letter in the name. If you draw a line through the top and bottom of each letter, all these lines will intersect at the same point below the letters, like spokes on a wheel, i.e., they are radially cut. Your letters are not like that. Each letter is oriented straight up and down, with just the tops and bottoms of the letters curved depending on position. If you draw a line through the top and bottom of each letter, the lines run parallel to each other, they will not intersect anywhere.

I see.

At this point, if it's messed up again I'm just gonna send it to Arena Wear and ask them to fix it

That poor jersey... :(

It should sign up for frequent flyer miles.