Penguins sky-blue alternate

PensFan77

Hey all.

Started reading this forum last night, got a lot of really good information about jerseys and customizing them, but I do have a couple of questions that hopefully members here can answer for me.

From what I've been able to read, perhaps mis-interpretated, but I understand that the EDGE Authentic jerseys are preferable for customizing versus the Premier jerseys. Perhaps I missed the reasoning why, if someone could enlighten me, it would be appreciated.

Also, I'm searching for a Penguins sky-blue alternate as a Christmas gift for my younger brother, and I'm really trying to avoid the Chinese knockoffs. I decided that searching the internet on my phone during my sociology class today for a jersey was a far better use of my time. In my search, I came across this website http://www.authenticjerseysunlimited.com/ . While it appears to be a legit website, I'll confess to not knowing what to look for as far as a company legitimacy and the products that they represent. If a member here has used this website before or has stumbled upon it before and can shed some light on to this, I would also greatly appreciate it.

Also, per my reading, I found that Pro Knitwear out of Pittsburgh does the customizing for the Penguins now. Has anyone here used them before, or should I e-mail them and find out if they are even able to do a job like this?

I can already tell that this jersey customizing hobby is going to quickly become an expensive proposition for me.

Thanks in advance for any answers that you guys are able to provide.

I would use HockeyMonkey.com:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-jersey-edge-authentic-pit.html

At $130 and 15% off with coupon (see front page of site), that's a pretty great deal. Quite a few of us have bought from them lately; no worries on knockoffs.

I don't have any experience working with Pro Knitwear, though I have had work done with House O Hockey. They do excellent work, just be sure to ask for the exact on-ice lettering kit and they will provide it.

Usually you check if the website has a reputable contact page to tell if it's a trustworthy company. I've never bought anything from the site, but it looks like it has a mailing address, a toll free phone number and a legitimate email which tells me that it's probably a good company.

Beware though. The authentics sold on the site are probably indo-edges, which are the cheaper and inferiority made authentics that are produced in Indonesia instead of Canada where the real on ice Edges are made.

From what I've been able to read, perhaps mis-interpretated, but I understand that the EDGE Authentic jerseys are preferable for customizing versus the Premier jerseys. Perhaps I missed the reasoning why, if someone could enlighten me, it would be appreciated.

It's not that Edges are any easier or better to customize, but simply that they are of better quality than the Premiers and generally look better. Most casual fans buy Premiers, probably because the price of the Edge is generally over double that of the Premier, and also because they probably are not very picky about jersey details. This forum is filled with collectors who are much more particular about quality, and cognizant of the differences between the Premiers and Edges. I'm sure that's why you got the impression that you did. In general, the Edges are more ruggedly constructed to withstand the stresses of playing pro hockey. The crests and trim on the Edges are often much nicer and more detailed than those of the Premiers. If a Premier has patches on it, they usually have a cheap plastic appearance with screened on details. Patches on Edges are embroidered and sewn onto the jersey, not just glued on like on the Premiers. I could go on, but for most of us here in this forum, it's just much more rewarding owning authentics providing it's within the budget.

For those suggesting I go to Hockey Monkey, I would because it's a great deal, unfortunately they don't have the alternate jersey in the right size. They have it in the smaller sizes, and I need at least a 54 for my younger brother, he's 6' 4" and about 215 lbs, give or take.

For the poster, I apologize for not being able to quote you, I'm on a phone. Thank you for explaining the differences to me. My brother has expressed an interest before in an authentic jersey, and this would absolutely blow him away on Christmas.

I'm gonna keep looking, but if anyone has any leads on one, I would appreciate it.

I really am glad I stumbled upon this forum the other night.

Try sending a PM to member dsl135. I know he has a 52 Pens alternate for sale, but he might be able to get you a bigger one.

Try sending a PM to member dsl135. I know he has a 52 Pens alternate for sale, but he might be able to get you a bigger one.

Just stumbled across this. I'm here, saw the thread. I'll check the local store's stock and see what they have. I know they had at least a couple 54's and 56's before of the Pens Powder Blue.

Just stumbled across this. I'm here, saw the thread. I'll check the local store's stock and see what they have. I know they had at least a couple 54's and 56's before of the Pens Powder Blue.

*And since you're new here, I'll throw in that dsl135 sent me the same exact jersey a few months back, and the transaction was flawless.

:)

Everybody that has chimed in and offered help, I really appreciate it. Thebiggoalie, that's the one thing I've always liked about forums is that the members are usually good people willing to help out other members, and I figured that dsl135 was a good guy because on other forums I've been on, if you aren't a good guy, people will immediately pin a 'Do Not Do Business' tag on you.

dsl135, I appreciate it, alot. I called about a 56 yesterday that I found down in Pittsburgh, but haven't gone down to see if it's an EDGE or an Indo-Edge yet.

All I know is that if I manage to pull this off, I will absolutely blow my brother away on Christmas.

Thanks again guys.

Coincidentally, mine is being delivered today via UPS after I shipped it out for customization. I went with Conklin. Too many Crosby WC jerseys out there already. :P

I called about a 56 yesterday that I found down in Pittsburgh, but haven't gone down to see if it's an EDGE or an Indo-Edge yet.

I doubt it would be an Indo-Edge since they were only made last season (2011/12), and the powder blue alternates were last used in 2010/11.

Also, per my reading, I found that Pro Knitwear out of Pittsburgh does the customizing for the Penguins now. Has anyone here used them before, or should I e-mail them and find out if they are even able to do a job like this?

One thing I forgot to mention. The Pens' team customizer during the years they used the powder blue alternate was Cutting Edge Sports, not Pro Knitwear. I'm not saying Pro Knitwear can't do the job, but if you want the best chance at accuracy, it's usually best to go to the original team customizer when possible. The biggest issue you'll have is trying to get powder blue Edge stretch mesh material for the nameplate. You'd have to check with them to see if they have it.

http://www.cuttingedge-sports.com/home/

One thing I forgot to mention. The Pens' team customizer during the years they used the powder blue alternate was Cutting Edge Sports, not Pro Knitwear. I'm not saying Pro Knitwear can't do the job, but if you want the best chance at accuracy, it's usually best to go to the original team customizer when possible. The biggest issue you'll have is trying to get powder blue Edge stretch mesh material for the nameplate. You'd have to check with them to see if they have it.

http://www.cuttinged...ports.com/home/

I don't know how busy they are now with the lockout in effect, but I wouldn't be so sure that Cutting Edge would be able to customize the jersey and get it back to you before Christmas if you don't even have the jersey yet. I had them customize a jersey for me last fall and they took a couple months. The jersey came out great, but it took a while (this happens at others places like EPS, too, from what I understand). I sent it to them in early September and got it back in early December, a turnaround time of about 3 months.

A couple other questions for the experts here. Would it be correct to use an Edge nameplate on the jersey? What would be the correct font/lettering style to use? I read somewhere on this forum about something called 'kiss-cut' lettering style, but I don't fully understand it.

Please go easy on me, I'm rather new to this jersey customization hobby and I'm trying to absorb as much information as possible to get the correct look. Not just for my brother's jersey but for any future jerseys I purchase.

Thanks again guys.

I do believe that they use the edge material for nameplates, otherwise I don't know what any exact term would be for asking for the correct lettering kit. All I know on that end is just to ask the guys at HoH and they'll know what I'm talking about, assuming they can still get it.

Here's one problem I just encountered while requesting an Edge material nameplate. I just had my Pens 2008 WC jersey done and delivered. I requested an Edge material nameplate, which the company I sent it to said they had. That jersey has three different types of material. When I requested my nameplate of choice, my nameplate was made of the material that the upper and lower part of the arms is made of. It looks a lot like airknit. The material I THOUGHT I was going to get, was the middle part of the sleeves (the white stripe, almost like ultrafil). Then there's also the material that the back is made of which I believe we've dubbed "bubble-mesh". If the nameplate was made of either of the other two types of material, I feel it would have looked more like the pics I submitted.

Also requested "kiss-cut" and they said they understood that, but guess what? Regular stacked letters and numbers. Not the worst mess up I've seen, but being a die-hard Pens fan who will be holding this jersey in my collection for a long time, I'm disappointed that its not exactly what I wanted.

Odd thing is, one time, I didn't say anything when I sent in a jersey, didn't know what "kiss-cut" was, and the company DID use it, so I know they know what I was talking about.

I am pretty sure the blue alternates had Edge mesh nameplates which were sewn over the jersey's back panel, which is made of the same mesh material. The home/away game jerseys are cut differently, and the nameplates for these, which are air-knit, cover primarily the air-knit shoulder panel, not so much the mesh back panel. The home/away/blue alternate jerseys were all kiss-cut.

This may be of interest to you if you decide to customize a retail Penguins Edge 1.0 home or away jersey. These are not exactly the same as the gamers, and the back shoulder panel is not made of air-knit, so an air-knit nameplate wouldn't match the material it's stitched over. An ultrafil nameplate would come close to matching the material on the back of the 1.0 jerseys.

I've bought a few Penguins jerseys that were either game-issued or rookie tournament worn, customized by Cutting Edge, and each of them has had an airknit nameplate. Though, admittedly, they were the regular home and aways, not the powder blue alts.

I am pretty sure the blue alternates had Edge mesh nameplates which were sewn over the jersey's back panel, which is made of the same mesh material. The home/away game jerseys are cut differently, and the nameplates for these, which are air-knit, cover primarily the air-knit shoulder panel, not so much the mesh back panel. The home/away/blue alternate jerseys were all kiss-cut.

This may be of interest to you if you decide to customize a retail Penguins Edge 1.0 home or away jersey. These are not exactly the same as the gamers, and the back shoulder panel is not made of air-knit, so an air-knit nameplate wouldn't match the material it's stitched over. An ultrafil nameplate would come close to matching the material on the back of the 1.0 jerseys.

So if I can't find an Edge nameplate, are you suggesting that an ultrafil would be the next closest thing? Also, can you explain kiss-cut a little bit more in-depth, just so I have a more thorough understanding when I go get it customized. I want the jersey to look as close to on-ice as absolutely possible, but from my cursory searching, it appears that finding an Edge nameplate for that particular jersey is going to be pretty difficult.

So if I can't find an Edge nameplate, are you suggesting that an ultrafil would be the next closest thing?

This would only be the case if you are customizing a retail version (Edge 1.0) home or away jersey; as far as I know, ultrafil is the material that looks the closest to the material on the top part of the back of the jersey. But if you are trying to customize a powder blue alternate, there is no good substitute for the Edge stretch mesh material; neither air-knit nor ultrafil looks like it.

Here are some pictures of the neck area of some Pens gamers:

pens_road_10.jpg

Above: Edge 1.0 Road jersey (used on-ice for sets 1 & 2 in the 2007-08 season, and what has been sold to the public as the retail authentic from 2007-2011). Notice the material behind the size tag is smooth and very tightly knit. Obviously the nameplate goes on the other side of the jersey, but you would want the nameplate to have this same texture. I don't know that any customizer still has this stuff, so that's why I suggested ultrafil might be your best option.

pens_road_20.jpg

Edge 2.0 Road jersey (used on-ice from second half of 2007-08 to present-day. Difficult to buy blanks of because they have never been made available for sale to the public). Material is air-knit with rough texture, nameplate would be of exact same material. You'd only need this if you were lucky enough to get a team-issued blank and wanted to customize it.

pens_3rd_20.jpg

Edge 2.0 powder blue 3rd jersey. The white top half you can see is air-knit, but the blue bottom half (where the nameplate goes) is Edge stretch mesh, which is what you need for the nameplate. This may be difficult to find as well.