Vintage Hockey Classics

redbeard3569

Anybody ever do business with Vintage Hockey Classics? I am looking to get a jersey done from a defunct IHL team and can't seen to find anybody that can promise to get the lettering done right. Vintage Hockey Classics claims to be able to not only make exact copies of the jerseys but also get the lettering and numbering right as well.

Just looking for anything anybody can offer up about these guys.

Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are they located? US or Canada? I can't believe I haven't seen the site before...not sure if I'd order anything, but it's an option in the future anyways.

I don't know where they are located. I ran across them during a Google search. I came on here and was surprised when a search of this site didn't show anybody mentioning them. I figured somebody had to have done business with them and so far one person has an liked the jersey he had done.

I sent them an email and am hoping to hear back from them sometime soon. If anything comes it I will follow up here just to share the info.

This guy and I had a falling out once. I blacked out and bought one of his north stars jerseys on eBay, and then asked for pictures of the CCM on the hem. He told me it was a reproduction made with authentic materials and I claimed that he misrepresented his eBay auction (which I still maintain he did). He then went on a tirade about how he doesn't need a money and I should basically ###### off. He's a ######.

I also think he owes a member here a 1980 jersey from about 3 years ago. So yeah.

I got a jersey from him off of ebay once that was good materials and nicely constructed. It was too big for me and had two inaccuracies with the lettering. I sold it on ebay and ordered another one from him in my size with instructions to make the lettering 100% accurate. I was told it would take some time due to the holidays, but it is now two months later than the two months I was told it would take to get it.

Be careful redbeard. I have a buddy who bought a defunct AHL team jersey and is very satisfied with the reproduction quality. However, VHC seems to have a problem delivering on time. They advertise 6 to 8 weeks for a custom jersey. According to my friend, it took nearly five months before he received his jersey. These guys talk a good game and they do seem to produce a quality product for a reasonable price, but they don't deliver on time. My friend's experience has made me have second thoughts about putting in an order of my own. Unfortunately, as you say, there aren't a lot of people out there who do custom, vintage jerseys.

Anybody ever do business with Vintage Hockey Classics? I am looking to get a jersey done from a defunct IHL team and can't seen to find anybody that can promise to get the lettering done right. Vintage Hockey Classics claims to be able to not only make exact copies of the jerseys but also get the lettering and numbering right as well.

Just looking for anything anybody can offer up about these guys.

Thanks

Be careful redbeard. I have a buddy who bought a defunct AHL team jersey and is very satisfied with the reproduction quality. However, VHC seems to have a problem delivering on time. They advertise 6 to 8 weeks for a custom jersey. According to my friend, it took nearly five months before he received his jersey. These guys talk a good game and they do seem to produce a quality product for a reasonable price, but they don't deliver on time. My friend's experience has made me have second thoughts about putting in an order of my own. Unfortunately, as you say, there aren't a lot of people out there who do custom, vintage jerseys.

I'm waiting on over a year for my 1980 USA jersey. It sounds like the factories and people he gets his jersey made by don't take his business that seriously, thus they end up being late with their shipments and may not pay close to attention to what they're making. Which in turn forces him to re-order things a second and third time until he finally gets the right product for the customer. It ends up being a long, drawn out process. It kinda sounded like a sob story to me when he told me the factory had messed up my USA jersey about 4 times, but then he actually showed me photos of the messed up jerseys, offered me the jerseys for free, and offered me an immediate refund if that's what I wanted. It's a crappy situation all around.

We ended up agreeing on me getting my 1980 USA jersey whenever it was completed, as well as a free jersey of my choice since his communication on the issue was terrible. Still haven't gotten the jersey(s) but he did say he would provide me a complete refund immediately if I ever asked for it. We'll see.

I would say you should ask him if the jersey you're looking for is already in stock. If so, go for it. His eBay sales to members on here seem to have gone well. If he needs to produce the jersey though, tread lightly. May end up being a huge headache.

I have shelved this idea for the time being. I talked to him on the phone and he admitted to having some supplier issues but he seemed like a nice enough guy.

It seems from the responses I have gotten that it would be a decent purchase but I don't think I would be willing to front $200-$300 and have to wait for an unknown time to get my jersey. It just seems like it would be way more of a headache than I would want to get involved in at this time.

It's always a future option but for the present I'm gonna pass.

You might want to taking a look at Ebbets Field Flannels. They have jumped back into the hockey jersey business with both feet and are now accepting custom jersey orders.

The price is a little steep, $325-350, but they can do all-wood reproductions, which was the material of choice of most hockey jerseys prior to the early 1960s.

I haven't put in an order yet, but I'm working with EFF on the details of an early 60s AHL jersey. They are very accommodating and insist they can make me an exact reproduction in all wool. We'll see.

Edited by LouMarcon

Hornets61-62home.jpgAll wool is actually just the opposite, very comfortable. I have 3 or 4 solid-color, all-wool sweaters for everyday use that are no problem at all -- except for the cost. I've had them for years, they wear like iron. I wouldn't know why the Ebbets Field all-wool hockey sweater would be any different.

I'm about to find out. I've decided to purchase a custom, all- wool Pittsburgh Hornets jersey from EFF. And, like my everyday, winter wool sweaters it's expensive ($350).

Edited by LouMarcon

• 2 months later...

Be very careul of this guy....I have now been waiting for 9 months to receive my order. He had one story after another on why they have been delayed....no idea if he was telling the truth or not.

I asked people on his facebook page if they had any luck getting their orders...and they eventually did...but his business ethics are horrible....but he is sure quick to take payment!

I am still hoping I see the jerseys...but have prett much lost all hope in seeing them. I will update if anything changes.

Good Luck...and be careful !!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my all wool 1962 Pittsburgh Hornets jersey 2-3 weeks ago. EFF nailed it. I'm very satisfied.

redfront.jpg

Edited by LouMarcon

Be very careul of this guy....I have now been waiting for 9 months to receive my order. He had one story after another on why they have been delayed....no idea if he was telling the truth or not.

I asked people on his facebook page if they had any luck getting their orders...and they eventually did...but his business ethics are horrible....but he is sure quick to take payment!

I am still hoping I see the jerseys...but have prett much lost all hope in seeing them. I will update if anything changes.

Just to be clear - where you talking about VHC or EFF? I've had fantastic experiences with EFF.

Just to be clear - where you talking about VHC or EFF? I've had fantastic experiences with EFF.

He was talking about VHC, as were we all except for Lou, who apparently has stock in EFF or works for them...

Not an employee (I live 2,500 miles from EFF in Seattle) and don't own any stock, just a satisfied EFF customer Jeff. As for the EFF jersey I discussed above, it's now being offered to the general public, for $125 less than what I paid for the custom original. That's not how you treat a stockholder.

But, since you're interested in my motives:

My EFF comments were in response to another post about all-wool jerseys. VHC doesn't do all wool. EFF is the only vendor that I'm aware of that does. And, after waiting for 16 months for a custom order from VHC, I found it very refreshing to put a large sum of money down on a vintage replica jersey, and then to get the jersey delivered by EFF in "only" 10 weeks.

BTW, I did cut in half my last post about EFF, which I agree was probably a little over the top (for this thread). And, in the future, should I feel the need to post again in this thread, I'll limit my comments to VHC. After nearly a year and a half (and counting) of waiting, I've accumulated a ton of VHC stories. I've been told by more than one person that VHC does nice work. Perhaps, some day I'll find out for myself.

He was talking about VHC, as were we all except for Lou, who apparently has stock in EFF or works for them...

Edited by LouMarcon

• 6 months later...

Hi all - I joined this message board to vent about Vintage Hockey Classics. I ordered my jersey on December 15 and indicated I needed it for a birthday gift by Jan 24. He was very confident he could make it happen. I paid the invoice on Dec 16. Have not heard back from him since that day. I have emailed, called his cell, texted, etc and he has not returned one word to me.

I understand if there are supplier issues; I would probably just give the jersey as a Christmas present in Dec 2012. But I feel totally ripped off to the point I am ready to contact VISA and tell them I have a fraudulent charge on my credit card.

The guy's name is James Heim and I wish I would have seen this post before I ordered from him. Brutal.

By the way - it was a 1960's St Catharines Tee-Pee's jersey.

Anybody have any advice or maybe a different contact number? Someone mentioned his facebook page but I cannot find it.

Hi and thank you to everyone who has posted about this. I am caught in a nightmare dealing with VHC and I'm looking to see if others who posed here have had more bad luck. I was desperate to have an original Winnipeg Jets Jersey (circa 1970) made. VHC seemed like my only option and I didn't feel great about using such a shady site. No phone number or address listed. I submitted my request, and sure enough James Hiem called me in about 30 minutes. he talked forever and finally I decided to take the risk and send him money. he said it would take about 1-3 months. It's now been 8 months and still nothing. He doesn't return my calls or emails anymore and I've been in the dark waiting. His phone number keeps playing an automated message saying that the number I dialed can no longer receive messages.

When I did have a chance to speak with him he kept giving excuses as to why he couldn't just check on the order status:

- "my suppliers only do email, they don't like phone calls"

- "I just wait for boxes to arrive, there's nothing I could do"

The guy just kept giving me evasive answers and wouldn't help. This seems like the perfect crime. delay and make excuses until the PayPal 45 day dispute policy expires and there is nothing I can do now except try and fight it with my CC company.

To anyone arriving on this message board and reading this do not take a chance with this guy, it's not worth it. Completely unethical. I'm furious and hope I can find others who have experienced the same so perhaps we could send a message to PayPal or elsewhere and bring some heat on this guy.

Did you receive anything yet? Maybe there's hope for me. i ordered June 2nd, 2011 and still waiting. all contact with this guy has stopped. just ridiculous.

Hi all - I joined this message board to vent about Vintage Hockey Classics. I ordered my jersey on December 15 and indicated I needed it for a birthday gift by Jan 24. He was very confident he could make it happen. I paid the invoice on Dec 16. Have not heard back from him since that day. I have emailed, called his cell, texted, etc and he has not returned one word to me.

I understand if there are supplier issues; I would probably just give the jersey as a Christmas present in Dec 2012. But I feel totally ripped off to the point I am ready to contact VISA and tell them I have a fraudulent charge on my credit card.

The guy's name is James Heim and I wish I would have seen this post before I ordered from him. Brutal.

By the way - it was a 1960's St Catharines Tee-Pee's jersey.

Anybody have any advice or maybe a different contact number? Someone mentioned his facebook page but I cannot find it.

Your experience is exactly what I have, and continue to endure. i really can't stand the idea of this guy getting away with this. it's one thing to be overconfident, salesy and even have a bit of bad customer service, but this is ridiculous. It's straight up lies and zero ethics.

• 1 month later...

Sent money on Jan 4th. Returned my text that they got it. I have been trying to contact them since 21 Feb. They will not return phone calls, emails or texts. Goes by both names George Kuhn or James Heim. I will do everything in my power to make this persons life a miserable hell. I hate thieves and liars. Here is the website info - More to come.

Please note: the registrant of the domain name is specified

in the "registrant" field. In most cases, GoDaddy.com, LLC

is not the registrant of domain names listed in this database.

Registrant:

NFR Sports

245 Delaware St

Tonawanda, New York 14150

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: VINTAGEHOCKEYCLASSICS.COM

Created on: 23-Aug-09

Expires on: 23-Aug-12

Last Updated on: 12-Jul-11

Administrative Contact:

Heim, James gmkuhn@gmail.com

NFR Sports

245 Delaware St

United States

7166024787 Fax --

Technical Contact:

Heim, James gmkuhn@gmail.com

NFR Sports

245 Delaware St

United States

They stole my money also

They are registered as NFR Sports 245 Delaware Street # 111 Tonawanda - Phone number 716-602-4787 - As of today, still active, but not accepting messages.

The guy I talked to told me his name was George Kuhn, but this website is registered under James Heim with an email address of gmkuhn@gmail.com

Here is the link to the website info - http://bgp.he.net/dns/vintagehockeyclassics.com#_whois

Here is the interesting part - A George Kuhn writes for a Buffalo magazine called Sports and Leisure magazine http://www.sportsandleisuremag.com/advertise_sl.html

Sports and Leisure magazine copy writes their material under the name Niagara Frontier Sports & Leisure Magazine (NFR Sports?)Vintage Hockey Classics copy writes their material under the name Niagara Frontier Sports

So I called (716-876-2738) and left several messages at Sports and Leisure Magazine and no one would return my call. Today I called the cell number listed on the answering service (716-445-5607) and a lady by the name of Marian Giallombardo called me back. I explained the purpose of my call and she seemed to be very protective of Mr. Kuhn. She may be trying to protect his privacy, but my gut tells me something else.

Apparently, there have been others - Click for the link:http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=3650

I also contacted the Tonawanda police, Buffalo Police and the FBI. Email to Tonawanda police

lrank@tonawandacitypd.com

jivancic@tonawandacitypd.com

Update to my situation - no answer from VHC since my attempts in late January. I contacted my VISA and they have given me what they call temporary refund while they further investigate the dispute with Paypal. I can't believe I fell for this scam hook line and sinker. I have left some pretty colourful voicemails on his machine to blow off some steam though. What else can a guy do?