The Habs started a war on counterfeit jerseys

quebecaces

The NHL took out an ad in yesterday's Montreal Gazette basically asking people not to purchase counterfeit jerseys. If somebody wants to look for it online it should be on the last page of the first section.

Habs offer rebate to turn in fake jerseys

BY DAVID JOHNSTON, THE GAZETTEAPRIL 22, 2010

On chinanhljerseys.com Thursday, you could buy a “replithentic” Montreal Canadiens jersey with Scott Gomez’s name and No. 91 on it for only $86.

That same jersey, minus thecolourful adjective, was selling at the Habs Zone boutique at the Bell Centre Thursday for $239 or $399 – depending on whether you bought the official “replica” Gomez jersey or the more expensive official “authentic” one.

The large gap in prices between illegal knockoffs and the two grades of official sweaters manufactured under National Hockey League licence have become a concern to the NHL – and to the iconic Canadiens in particular.

This week, the Canadiens became the first team in the league to start offering fans rebates on official licensed sweaters if they come into Habs Zone and relinquish their counterfeit jerseys.

The offer is good only at Habs Zone at the Bell Centre, not from any other authorized dealer.

The club is offering a $100 rebate on authentic sweaters just like those worn by players during games, and $50 for look-alike replica sweaters that don’t have the same high degree of water repellency.

Authentic sweaters were selling at Habs Zone yesterday for $299, replica jerseys for $139. Buyers pay an extra $100 to have nameplates and numbers sewn on.

So far, public response to the rebate offer has been weak. But the Canadiens are hoping that the anti-knockoff ads that they took out this week in major Montreal newspapers, and on the scoreboard at the Bell Centre during Game 4 Wednesday of the Washington series, will at least raise public awareness about knockoffs, which violate copyright law.

Donald Beauchamp, a Canadiens official, said in an interview yesterday that the advertising campaign is the outcome of a year of consultations between the club, the NHL, jersey licensee Reebok and the RCMP on the subject of knockoffs.

He said the club has no idea how much money it is losing to knockoffs, but it can tell from what people are wearing that knockoffs are fairly common.

The Canadiens have created a new URL link – letsretirethesejerseys.com – to show fans how to tell the difference between licensed products and knockoffs.

Among other things, the lettering on the nameplates tends to be thicker on the knockoffs than it is on the licensed sweaters.

At Habs Zone and other authorized vendors of licensed Canadiens sweaters, 25 per cent of all club sweaters sold are authentic jerseys, as opposed to 75 per cent that are replica jerseys.

Authentic sweaters for all 30 NHL teams are produced by Reebok in St. Hyacinthe, southeast of Montreal.

Replica jerseys, made by Reebok in Indonesia, aren’t made from the same expensive high-wick material.

While Habs Zone was selling replica sweaters yesterday for $139, Souvenirs Super Sports, on Ste. Catherine St. between Peel and Stanley Sts., was selling the same licensed replica sweater for $129.

Nour Nury, co-owner of Souvenir Super Sports, said he’s heard knockoffs are sometimes peddled right out in the open in the parking lots surrounding the Bell Centre. Beauchamp simply said they are being sold “everywhere.”

djohnston@

thegazette.canwest.com

© Copyright © The Montreal Gazette

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Habs+offer+rebate+turn+fake+jerseys/2940200/story.html

=======================================================================

B)

Other links of interest from Les Canadiens...

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=62048

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=62049

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=62050

Well ****ing done! I hope all other 29 teams are going to do something similar.

Puck Daddy also posted on the topic:

Puck Daddy

Good on the Habs I say. I also hope the 29 other teams follow suit.

Go figure people are actually complaining about this. So I don't know how much it will actually help but I applaud the Habs regardless.

It's good to see Montreal taking action on this matter.

But seriously, fakes have been around for at least 3 years and the NHL FINALLY WOKE UP. It's about time. The NHL shows it cares about this, but I believe the fans have to step up too. The more the fans complain, the better support the NHL will receive in this matter and the easier it may be to come to a conclusion.

I still think money's going to be an issue though. Fans would rather buy a jersey that is dirt cheap with customization than spend $139 on a blank replica jersey. As long as people deem fake jerseys are "close enough" to what the players wear on the ice, then they won't make a big stink. It's a lack of education, really, in terms of what is real and what is not. It's like buying fool's gold if you have no idea what it is. One thinks it looks like gold, but it's really not because they have no information about it. No wonder the USA is the 17th highest educated country in the world and not #1.........

The Habs Campaign WOULD NOT WORK in my mind.

So you get a $100 rebate for each fake authentics turn in. There are tons of website that sell fakes authentics for $40 or less. So what should the Habs fan do? Buy the fakes for $40, turn it in and get $100. Straight profit of $60, no question ask I suppose.

The whole Edge style, plus the way NHL sells their jerseys, has created a complete mess. Take a look at the pricing of an authentic jersey (uncustomized) of the four major sports in North America:

NFL--$285 (must be customized) for most teams, some even cheaper, like Green Bay

NBA--$180

MLB--$155-$210

NHL--$300

So, here we go, the least popular sport in North America charges the most on its jersey. What the heck???

What's the point of reebok create this "Edge" jersey? The whole idea was...to make the players faster. By how much---last I check something like 15-25% they said...

Reebok really forgot about one simple thing: An ice hockey rink is 200 feet by 100 feet. There is only so much room for players to skate (keep in mind there are a total of 10 players on ice, excluding the goalie). How much of an advantage can player gain, 0.001 second??

The players are hockey players, NOT MARATHON RUNNNERS God ###### It!!!

So you get a $100 rebate for each fake authentics turn in. There are tons of website that sell fakes authentics for $40 or less. So what should the Habs fan do? Buy the fakes for $40, turn it in and get $100. Straight profit of $60, no question ask I suppose.

The whole Edge style, plus the way NHL sells their jerseys, has created a complete mess. Take a look at the pricing of an authentic jersey (uncustomized) of the four major sports in North America:

NFL--$285 (must be customized) for most teams, some even cheaper, like Green Bay

NBA--$180

MLB--$155-$210

NHL--$300

So, here we go, the least popular sports in North America charges the most on its jersey. What the heck???

What's the point of reebok create this "Edge" jersey? The whole idea was...to make the players faster. By how much---last I check something like 15-25% they said...

Reebok really forgot about one simple thing: An ice hockey rink is 200 feet by 100 feet. There is only so much room for players to skate (keep in mind there are a total of 10 players on ice, excluding the goalie). How much of an advantage can player gain, 0.001 second??

My idea was to have the Edge and a sublimated "fan jersey" that would involve having all trim, logos, and customization on an Ultrafil-type jersey. It probably would cost somewhere between $90 and $120, but Reebok was very insistent that they didn't have the technology to do it. Granted, this was three years ago, but that was the response I got.

That was just a bunch of baloney to build up hype and also to cover for the fact that it was nothing more than a money-making scheme.

Nice, and somewhat amazing, to see Montreal so aggressive in fighting fake jerseys. I do have to agree that the $50 and especially the $100 credit are ripe for abuse since the jerseys can be bought frequently for $40. Think they'd give me $200 off if I can scare up a pair of them for $80? Seems like a good deal on my end.

The deal is only good until April 30 (and it's only one per customer), so there really isn't any time to order a fake piece of trash from China just to abuse the offer.

That said, the purpose of the offer is mainly to get the fake jerseys off the market. Offering to take a hit on jerseys that they can't discount too much while remaining profitable is commendable in my opinion.

http://shotfromthesky.blogspot.com/2010/04/fake-jerseys.html

puck daddy posted this link, and although I would never buy a fake jersey I think this guy hits it more or less on the head.

Instead of going to the fans to get these fake jerseys off the street, they should be going after the people who actually import them into North America...

Most of this madness could have been avoided if the NHL NEVER switched to the EDGE uniform system - making the price of NHL jerseys seem unbelievably ridiculous. If they kept with the old 6100 style, then prices and quality would be much more reasonable. But like a post above said, Reebok INSISTED on this new style. LAME! <_< Thanks Gary, we APPRECIATE IT! :angry:

From article: "Pre-Reebok(-lockout), a replica jersey, no name or numbers, cost between $75-100 at the team's store in the arena. That was a nice, thick, sturdy piece of team spirit. My CCM Avalanche jersey from the late '90s is still in great shape - and it's been played in, worn to games and to school. Authentic jerseys, with their double-sewn elbows, fight strap and quality embroidering all over, ran about $150-175."

I sure hope the prices he is estimating are in US Dollars, and when the US Dollar kicked the **** out of the Canadian Dollar. I've never seen an authentic jersey at retail for under $250 CDN, and that goes back to long before the Edge jerseys came out.

More from article: "Reebok drop their prices by a small margin (10-15%) and makes the jerseys (logos too) out of better material and stitches the stuff on there rather than the glue that dissolves after 5 washes."

That's ridiculous. I've sold NHL jerseys for years, and pre-Edge and post-Edge, I've had not even a handful of customers bring jerseys back because the logo was peeling off. I have a few replicas myself and have never had that problem. If your logo peels off, you're washing it wrong.

NBA--$180

MLB--$155-$210

NHL--$300

So, here we go, the least popular sport in North America charges the most on its jersey. What the heck???

Well I can understand why authentic NHL jerseys cost so much compared to the other major professional sports - MLB, NBA, NFL. NHL jerseys are composed of the most material, they have long sleeves, unlike the other 3 types of jerseys. Also, NHL jerseys tend to have much more decoration than MLB, NBA, and NFL jerseys. When you think about it there are NHL teams that have 3 color customization on names and numbers, which can be expensive. For example, an NBA jersey has the least amount of surface area - short sleeves, no patches, etc. NHL jerseys have the crest, usually shoulder patches, a nameplate, sleeve numbers as well as customization on the back. So as a fan I do understand why NHL jerseys are the most expensive. But what I don't like and understand is why they have to use the EDGE system. Its stupid material design drives up the price and the quality of the authentics STINK compared to the 6100s.

I agree with the sentiment about how the hockey jersey compares to the other three major sports. All 4 are over priced, but I would expect the NHL jersey to cost more because there is more involved in it.

Now my view on this switch to 'Edge' jerseys, is that it is ridiculous. If players wanted to 'stream line' they wouldn't be wearing the same shoulder pads, elbow pads, etc. that they've been wearing since Jr. hockey. If you look in an NHL locker room, the only pieces of equipment that I imagine are less than a few years old are skates and gloves. Pants, which I am shocked not as many guys wear girdles with shells, and upper body equipment are all ancient and potentially dangerous in terms of their degraded protective qualities.

So in other words...'Edge' streamlining is a load of BS.

Haha, Cooperalls were the birth of girdles...but yes, do away with pants...NO PANTS PARTY!!!

You know what I mean! (sorry not an expert in the equipment part I'm a jersey collector and pond hockey (which requires no pads with my friends) "player")

You know what I mean! (sorry not an expert in the equipment part I'm a jersey collector and pond hockey (which requires no pads with my friends) "player")

No worries, I am a Biomedical Engineering student who is concentrating in Biomechanics and Human Performance. I am currently working on a few new equipment ideas/patents which I think can improve the way hockey is played, I am hugely interested in hockey equipment, so please don't think me rude for correcting, just trying to spread some knowledge...

Educating people and players about safety can only improve the speed and intensity at which hockey is played, all while minimizing the injuries sustained...

No worries, I am a Biomedical Engineering student who is concentrating in Biomechanics and Human Performance. I am currently working on a few new equipment ideas/patents which I think can improve the way hockey is played, I am hugely interested in hockey equipment, so please don't think me rude for correcting, just trying to spread some knowledge...

Educating people and players about safety can only improve the speed and intensity at which hockey is played, all while minimizing the injuries sustained...

Of course! Education is always the first step! I did not think you were rude at all don't worry